Best Dry air option

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metal Turkey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Best Dry air option

Post by Metal Turkey »

I need to up grade my air drying system. I have been using a coalescing filter with a pre filter and a paper roll filter, This works ok at first but have found I'm burning through consumables way to fast. I only cut about an hour 3 or 4 days a week.

I'm ready to spring for the Macair compressed air dryer. As I understand it has advantages over the Desiccant air dryers. Is the Macair the way to go? Is it worth the extra dollars over Desiccant dryers.

I make signs and yard art etc. using mostly 16 to 10 ga. cold rolled 4 X 8 sheets. I live in SD and haven't seen Humidity levels below 80% for the last 3 months.

From reading and research it appears to me the Macair would pay for it self in saved consumables in a year or two. Does that sound reasonable??

Thanks for the help
Metal Turkey Rog
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best Dry air option

Post by see&see »

I found the fan cooled condenser and refrigerated dryer to be OK until we started in with the high humidity. I then had to add a desiccant dryer before the PM85 to keep the bowl dry on the rear of the PM85.

I had the condenser and refrigerated dryer BEFORE the compressor so as to keep the tank dry and that worked for awhile but again with high humidity I needed the desiccant as a final filter to catch the remaining 1 or 2% vapor.

IMO, if you want more "bang for the buck" just a simple hot air condenser and water trap bowl before the air drops into the compressor tank and a final desiccant would do the job.. But again, just my opinion..
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Metal Turkey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metal Turkey »

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the reply.
Sounds like neither of the options, Desiccant or compressed air dryer are a sure bet for dry air on their own.
At this point I think I need to research the options a little harder before buying something that only half solves the problem.
I suppose I could go with both options, the pay back would take longer. Working to support the equipment needed to do the work is about all I'm accomplishing this month.
Thanks,
Metal Turkey Rog
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

max dry air from HTP
Around 360 for a 5 stage system.. I love mine very happy with it
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I got mine from Harbor Freight over a year ago and LOVE it!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”