First stainless counter top, what clear coat to use?

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

First stainless counter top, what clear coat to use?

Post by i_r_machinist »

Guy had a gas grill that he wanted mounted to a stainless plate with a brush finish. It looks great but I know if I don't seal this thing it will oxidize. Is there a special clear coat for a surface that could come in contact with food? Is the rattle can good enough? The wife has a big rack of steelfx stuff, maybe one of those?
any help appreciated!
thanks
i_r_
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: First stainless counter top, what clear coat to use?

Post by abmetal »

There is a food grade powder used for powdercoating things that come in contact with food but I don't know the brand name. If you need, I can ask the guy that does our powdercoating as he's the one that recently told me about it. He's used it.

Allen
dekoch
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dekoch »

I am new here but thought I might toss out my two cents, since I do a lot of stainless work. Stainless is a corrosion resistant material, not corrosion proof, however it can still pit, corrode, rust,etc. if in an extreme chemical environment. The point of using stainless is that you don't really need to coat it if you use a good grade stainless steel and passivate it properly. (Remove steal trace from other steel contact) If you want to help with finger prints and scuffing DuPont makes a great coating called "Imron" or protecta-clear. I put it on all my new tops. However like any other coating it will crack and come off over time. You could also just use a rustoleum clear coat that is much cheaper, I think that would work. I will post a picture of one of my recent tops, as soon as I can figure out how.
Damian

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

ss is what i'd use as a top coat :mrgreen:
anything you topcoat ss with will cause you problems

ss will scratch and show finger prints
as will anything you topcoat ss with
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”