Bear standing-Importing to Sheetcam Issue

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Johnnybravo
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Bear standing-Importing to Sheetcam Issue

Post by Johnnybravo »

Here is another one. Whenever I use Inkscape to make a file then finish it in Qcad, it's flippin HUGE when I import it into Sheetcam. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
bear (2).dxf
(263.41 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
Corel draw 7, Inkscape, Qcad, Sheetcam, Mach 3
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bear standing

Post by acourtjester »

When you start Inkscape go to the document Properties to default units change it to inches that way you can draw to scale or change the scale before you save it so you will know the size.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I assume you mean physically large, not file size large. I think Inkscape defaults to millimeter and if you're working in inches, that could be it. Or part of it. When I open the bear, it is 1667 units tall. If that came out in mm, it's still 65 inches tall. You can always scale it to the size you need. I usually use QCAD to scale, but you could scale it in Inkscape, too. On a somewhat related note, I am using SheetCam development and have noticed problems loading files that came from Inkscape going through QCAD after being scaled.

If you want 65 inches tall, but not getting that in SheetCam, you need to select inches in SheetCam when you import.

GL
Paul
Johnnybravo

Post by Johnnybravo »

OH! That makes sense. Thanks Guys!
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Bear standing-Importing to Sheetcam Issue

Post by KIDTech »

If I trace in InkScape I always have to scale the image down in ACAD. I know this going in so I guess I'm used to checking my size as soon as I open it in anything else.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Johnny and Kidtech, just as a side note... there's really no point in using QCAD/ACAD to convert the file to DXF for SheetCAM. SheetCAM opens .svg files perfectly. You'll be amazed at how great your files will look!!
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Johnnybravo

Post by Johnnybravo »

Capstone, This is interesting about not using Qcad. But I have so many questions being new at this. When I go into Qcad with a trace, I primarily use it to delete artifacts and double lines, and then to set up layers for my cut order. Each time I have done a trace in Inkscape, it has made double lines on everything. This also happened when I tried to trace in CorelDrawx7.

Do you do any of this in Sheetcam?
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With Inkscape if it is a line drawing you will get both the inside and outside of a line or double lines.
If you trace a colored image you will get the ouline after you trace then click on fill/stroke function. Then in the fill click on the X to remove fill.
the image will disappear then go to stroke and pick a color and you will see the outline and then click on stroke style and select and thin line size like 0.010" in inch group.
This will give you a thin outline of the color image and then you can work on layer in sheetcam for cutting.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I almost always use a CAD program after Inkscape. I use Inkscape for tracing and/or text and text placement. After that, I usually need to place these results with other items that need more precision placement than I can get (or find) in Inkscape. At least I find it quicker to go through these steps. At times, I do take these results back into inkscape for other work, but not too often. Perspective scaling when requested would be one of those times, but I may look at those results in QCAD before going to sheetcam.

GL
Paul
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I've stopped using Inkscape to "auto-trace" items unless they are very crisp black and white images and the trace will result in a simple clean design. Otherwise, I found it takes less time to just manually trace the subject, using artistic license, to capture the image for using in a metal piece.

This '47 Truckfor example, which I traced for a fellow plasmaspider member, was a manual trace job that frankly would not have been possible unless done manually.

The typical result of a trace in Inkscape is multiple layers with double drops and other issues that take entirely too long to fix afterwards, rather than just diving in with the line tool and picking out key outlines and details.

It's all about using the right tool at the right time and not leaning on the same process for each and every task. My experience so far with artsy custom stuff says that none of the CAD software is a needed step for SheetCAM/Mach3 users. I have produced 15-20 pieces that were never in a DXF format.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Johnnybravo wrote:Capstone, This is interesting about not using Qcad. But I have so many questions being new at this. When I go into Qcad with a trace, I primarily use it to delete artifacts and double lines, and then to set up layers for my cut order. Each time I have done a trace in Inkscape, it has made double lines on everything. This also happened when I tried to trace in CorelDrawx7.

Do you do any of this in Sheetcam?
SheetCAM will remove duplicate vectors all by itself, and you can simply not cut any outliers by not selecting any lines not part of the final cut piece.

Interestingly enough... I only use QCAD to convert the DXF files from here in to .SVG files so I can alter/customize them in Inkscape and then take the fixed .SVG file directly into SheetCAM for cutting. talk about a flip to the purpose.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Johnnybravo

Post by Johnnybravo »

Sweet! Thank you for the info!
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
Johnnybravo

Post by Johnnybravo »

Capstone wrote:I've stopped using Inkscape to "auto-trace" items unless they are very crisp black and white images and the trace will result in a simple clean design. Otherwise, I found it takes less time to just manually trace the subject, using artistic license, to capture the image for using in a metal piece.

This '47 Truckfor example, which I traced for a fellow plasmaspider member, was a manual trace job that frankly would not have been possible unless done manually.

The typical result of a trace in Inkscape is multiple layers with double drops and other issues that take entirely too long to fix afterwards, rather than just diving in with the line tool and picking out key outlines and details.

It's all about using the right tool at the right time and not leaning on the same process for each and every task. My experience so far with artsy custom stuff says that none of the CAD software is a needed step for SheetCAM/Mach3 users. I have produced 15-20 pieces that were never in a DXF format.

Phil, what program do you use to do the tracing?
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Johnnybravo wrote:Phil, what program do you use to do the tracing?
More often then not, I do it manually. I've just found that setting my line thickness to .063 (typical kerf) and doing a trace on the outline first then going inside the borders for additional details produces the best overall results.

This is beneficial because I spend much less time trying to clean-up drops and multiple layers, which more often than not ends up being a big mess.

There is of course some artistic skill needed to highlight or backlight areas depending on the size and complexity in order to make it look natural.

If you really want a way to auto-trace items there's a program called VectorMagic that is supposed to be really worthwhile, but you will want to buy the desktop version for full capabilities, and that's gonna cost a few hundred dollars. I have only tried it in the trial version and my results were mixed frankly. You will still likely be forced to manipulate the files quite a lot just because the metal cutting process demands a much different approach to image transfers to account for all kinds of variables. Our medium requires us to put limits on amount of details; keep fonts and other elements intact and legible, and always keep the structural integrity of the piece intact so it can displayed as intended without being too heavy or too weak either. Quite a balance must be struck.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Johnnybravo

Post by Johnnybravo »

Thank you Phil. I guess I need to try and master the software I have before looking for new programs. I'm going through the Qcad manual today to do just that. Then I will probably go for one of my graphics programs. Thought I was done with school lol.
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
Johnnybravo

Post by Johnnybravo »

Phil, you are correct! I traced a bitmap in Qcad today and I am much happier with the results than if I went through Inkscape. Inkscape traced the same pattern, but it made double lines, and odd curves and so on. Much happier with the manual tracing results.
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL

Return to “Inkscape”