Inkscape Fonts

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Inkscape Fonts

Post by ben de lappe »

Is there a way to add or install fonts to Inkscape?
Thanks,
Ben
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape Fonts

Post by acourtjester »

You can add the normal fonts like TTF you just need to find the folder that windows uses. (win 7 = {windows/fonts})
Last week someone posted the Char BB fonts and I was able to download it and install it so I could use it in Inkscape.
With your fonts as part of the DFX file I was unable to import them in to Inkscape. :(
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about the font. What type file works best for you? I'll save 'em and re-post or send your way.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

I've saved this as a .svg file. I imported it into Inkscape to see what I had. It was all there, just upside down.

Ben
Attachments
Script Bold.svg
(271.49 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks Ben here are a few thing I found about your fonts

For those that want to use these fonts. Highlight the group so it has the arrows in the corners and center top and bottom. To flip the grab the top center arrow and drag it downward until the all are flipped right side up. The click on path menu and click on “object to path” this will make them have paths. Then click on path menu again and click on “BreakApart” this will make the paths separate so you can move them around some letters have 2 parts like the capital K, P, R, and T so you will need to move them by making a box around them with the curser. Then move them like that or you can draw the box and click on the Path menu and click on combine. To make them an outline look down in the lower left and click on the Fill/stroke or (shift+ctrl+F) which will open the fill and stroke menu in the upper right. In the fill click on the X to remove the color filling then click on the Stroke style and increase the width ( maybe a width of 0.020") so you can see the outline of the font. You can change the color of the outline under stroke paint. You can move them around or copy and paste to form what you want.
Attachments
fonts.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

acourtjester
Wow. I had no idea that a font so simple for me to use would be complicated to that degree for use elsewhere. When I first saved the font as .svg I brought it into Inkscape to check before posting the file. It imported as shown in your screen shot. The interior of certain letters (A, P and Q) are filled. I returned to TM cad, selected "arrange", then "make path" and saved again. This time when brought into Inkscape the letters appeared correct in Inkscape so I posted the file. I'm very new to Inkscape, please forgive my inexperience concerning it's behavior and relation to cad/dxf's.

The little pieces you refer to in the screen shot come with the font as it's being typed out. This is a script font and these pieces are used to connect the letters like cursive writing. As I type out my lettering these pieces will connect from letter to letter. After the wording has been typed I can "weld" them together in TM and will end up with cursive text. The alphabet typed out as in the file does not represent this very well.

Thanks for the break down on this issue, very helpful considering my lack of Inkscape experience.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I reconfigured the file it is still a SVG but now you see the outlines of the letters. Import it to Inkscape and then with it highlighted (box with arrows around) click on path and click on “Object to path” then under objects menu click on “ungroup” this will break up the formation into single letters. Click on the screen away from the letter group and then you can select letters and move or copy them for use in your project.

Have fun
Tom
Attachments
Ben's Fonts.svg
(186.1 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill