Dura Max retrofit to 1250

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Dura Max retrofit to 1250

Post by Largemouthlou »

Finally installed the new to me retro fit torch and started dialing in the fine cut consumables on various aluminum

Does any one want to share some of their settings to get me in the right direction? Here is what I have so far
.125 seems to like 135 ipm at 76 volts fine fuzz under cut square edges but fine top dross. I have to dang near drop to 1/16 or closer above material to get it to cut without top dross.

.090 seems to like 150 ipm at 80 volts fuzz on bottom of cut and clean top, square cut.

Keep in mind most of my cuts have some small art work or letters in them that is the reason for using the fine cuts on .125 also.

Next I have to dial in .060 and .050 assoming I will be dropping down to 30 amp and picking up the speed on these 2.

Thanks for any help..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dura Max retrofit to 1250

Post by jimcolt »

Packed with every Duramax torch is a disc with multiple pages of detailed cut charts developed for the Hypertherm model that you are using. I suggest printing these out and following the specs exactly as printed. Our engineers spent many months cutting a variety of metals to develop the cut charts! The specs will be quite different from your original torch as the Duramax incorporates some new technology that increases cut angularity, dramatically improves consumable life and minimizes dross.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Largemouthlou wrote:Finally installed the new to me retro fit torch and started dialing in the fine cut consumables on various aluminum

Does any one want to share some of their settings to get me in the right direction? Here is what I have so far
.125 seems to like 135 ipm at 76 volts fine fuzz under cut square edges but fine top dross. I have to dang near drop to 1/16 or closer above material to get it to cut without top dross.

.090 seems to like 150 ipm at 80 volts fuzz on bottom of cut and clean top, square cut.

Keep in mind most of my cuts have some small art work or letters in them that is the reason for using the fine cuts on .125 also.

Next I have to dial in .060 and .050 assoming I will be dropping down to 30 amp and picking up the speed on these 2.

Thanks for any help..
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

jimcolt wrote:Packed with every Duramax torch is a disc with multiple pages of detailed cut charts developed for the Hypertherm model that you are using. I suggest printing these out and following the specs exactly as printed. Our engineers spent many months cutting a variety of metals to develop the cut charts! The specs will be quite different from your original torch as the Duramax incorporates some new technology that increases cut angularity, dramatically improves consumable life and minimizes dross.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Thank you for the reply Jim, not new to this and maybe the disc is different then the owners manual charts that I have printed out, there are NO cut parameters for the fine cut consumables on aluminum whether it is the fast or slow cut charts as was with the original 1250 T80 torch and it's fine cut consumables.. I will ck the disk that came with the "new to me" duramax torch and see if it is different then the manual I down loaded and have been studying and following.

I have already cut 3/8 and 1/4 inch mild steel using the cut parameters in the manual I down loaded, did all the reductions for holes and cut some very nice cuts.. Even slowing down to 60% and taking off THC there was still some taper on 1/2" holes but I know from experience that there will always be some with air plasma but plan on doing more testing trying to improve my cuts.

As always thank you for your time Jim.
Louis
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Louis, sorry.....I guess I read your post too fast and totally missed the aluminum part. There are no Finecut charts for aluminum....because our engineers designed them for cutting steel and stainless. The 45 amp shielded parts actually produce better edge quality and a wider dross free zone, as well as longer parts life than the Finecuts (on aluminum) with one exception, the Finecuts will cut with a .006" to .010" narrower cut....which some like.

Best bet, use the steel Finecut charts, follow the cut height, use the 220948 shield (this keeps the height right and doesn't allow the nozzle to contact the aluminum), spray some anti spatter on the front end and wipe the aluminum oxide off periodically. The cut speeds usually need to be lower than steel....but experiment with that part. You can get some nice cuts, but you will have shorter consumable life.....that is why there are no specs.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Largemouthlou wrote:
jimcolt wrote:Packed with every Duramax torch is a disc with multiple pages of detailed cut charts developed for the Hypertherm model that you are using. I suggest printing these out and following the specs exactly as printed. Our engineers spent many months cutting a variety of metals to develop the cut charts! The specs will be quite different from your original torch as the Duramax incorporates some new technology that increases cut angularity, dramatically improves consumable life and minimizes dross.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Thank you for the reply Jim, not new to this and maybe the disc is different then the owners manual charts that I have printed out, there are NO cut parameters for the fine cut consumables on aluminum whether it is the fast or slow cut charts as was with the original 1250 T80 torch and it's fine cut consumables.. I will ck the disk that came with the "new to me" duramax torch and see if it is different then the manual I down loaded and have been studying and following.

I have already cut 3/8 and 1/4 inch mild steel using the cut parameters in the manual I down loaded, did all the reductions for holes and cut some very nice cuts.. Even slowing down to 60% and taking off THC there was still some taper on 1/2" holes but I know from experience that there will always be some with air plasma but plan on doing more testing trying to improve my cuts.

As always thank you for your time Jim.
Louis
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Thanks Jim, I figured you missed that part :D

I will dial in the .050 and .060 later this week and start playing with using the standard A45 nozzles a little more on the thinner aluminum as well but like you said, some of my designs need the thinner kerf.

Always use anti splatter and 99% sure that is the shield I'm using but will double ck.. Gotta love new learning curves :lol: But will admit that the new torch is everything you said it would be!!

After this learning curve is done I get to install upgraded CandCNC electronics, after that I'm sure there will be another learning curve!! :lol:
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”