What would you guys have charged

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

What would you guys have charged

Post by beefy »

This is my very first paid job, a corten screen custom designed.

I went to the customers house to view an existing screen because they wanted this new design based on that but with modifications. Plus had a look at where he'd be mounting it and took measurements for where the mounting tabs would need to be welded on.

Cad time involved manual trace of a maple leaf photo.

Surprisingly it was about a 2 hour round trip to pick up a sheet of steel and go to another supplier to get angle iron. Delivery is starting to look more interesting.

A few of the leaf cutouts were welded on top (dark brown in the picture). I did this by cutting holes in the screen where the leaves would be, clamped the leaves in position on the front side, then went round the back and welded through the hole. Did this one by one for thirteen top leaf pieces.

The border is 40mm angle iron. Cut 45 degree corners, drilled big holes along the length where it lies on the back of the screen, and welded through these holes.

Finally cut 4 mounting tabs and made "keyholes" in them for blind hanging on screws in the wall.

3mm corten type steel, dimensions 2440 x 1100mm

Delivered to the customer myself, about a 2 hour round trip once I've unloaded, helped him carry it in, and done the usual 20 mins yakking while I'm there :D

Took a lot longer than I expected but I've learnt a few things and I know next time I'll be faster. One thing I've noticed immediately is try and cut with dross free parameters or at least get low speed dross parameters so it come of very easily. The dross which could be mistaken for weld bead is tedious to knock off.

I won't say how long cad time plus manufacturing time was because that's irrelevant being a beginner thus slower. I can't charge for my lack of speed.

Keith

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What would you guys have charged

Post by tnbndr »

If I converted correctly that is 43" x 96" x 11 gauge (1/8").
I would charge the travel at my shop rate.
Travel time + Material cost + Cutting time + Fab Time + CAd Time = Total cost x 1.5 = Customer Cost
I'd be at $825, you will have to convert that back to mm. :lol: :lol:
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: What would you guys have charged

Post by beefy »

Cheers Dennis,

Australia seems more expensive that the US so I think I've done it a bit cheap. I charged $600 + GST (10% sales tax). The GST basically just gets remitted to the tax department so $600 effectively.

Still the experience has been great. I reckon if I sell this as a stock item, I can sell it even cheaper and have a good time to income ratio. Working on a few ideas to speed up the assembly.

I seen a similar sized screen on Ebay here. It was advertised at $1000 and that was supposed to be half price. Plus it wasn't as good as mine, much more basic and less detail.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”