Splitting drawings

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Splitting drawings

Post by blackandtan »

I know this should be simple but how would I split a drawing to cut in two sections?
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Splitting drawings

Post by CNCCAJUN »

If you are working in say AutoCAD what we did in the engineering houses to make sure nothing was lost was as follows.

First draw a line where you want the break, it does not have to be straight. Now copy that image within your drawing.

Now blow away everything on the right on one and everything on the left on the other.

Save twice under two different names blowing away half in each drawing.

Now you have two drawings . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Basically what CNCAJUN said. Same goes for CorelDraw, but to simplify, just draw a box around one side that you don't want to cut, then trim. It deletes everything you don't want. Then "Save AS" with a new name like "right piece". Then hit undo to bring everything back, then select the box and drag the far side all the way over to cover the other side of the drawing, leaving the middle of the box where it is at, trim and save as "left piece". This makes it so that the left and right side of the drawing are perfectly matched up in the middle.

If you are doing this for indexing, then you will most likely need to edit the right and left sides where the trim was done to open up the trimmed ends. When you trim, it closes the objects as best as possible. To open, just hit your node tool, then double click on the center of the line you need to open up, then break the node apart and delete both nodes to remove the segments. Do this on each one you need to open.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

Thanks, I knew that there was a simple way I just didn't know how. Not using it to index but I will weld the two together after they are cut.
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

This video shows how to do it with mach 3 and solid edge. This basic principle should transfer to any software and machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZKtq7YfZbg
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”