Shop Data Systems

General software related questions should be posted here.
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Shop Data Systems

Post by Metal Troll »

Hello,
I am using SDS 2007 with my Multicam 1000 table. The HVAC duct work standards work like a dream but where my problems arise is when I am doing something besides a box and straight lines in there draw portion of the software.
I convert my images with Inkscape and the open them with draw to apply tool paths and do my clean up. My major problem is when applying tool path I sometimes get all these extra crazy circles all over a detailed piece and I have know idea where they come from this also happens with files that I sometimes get from this site. 4 out of 5 times i can select the dxf lines and then trace them with the tools in the draw program and then erase the old lines and reapply my tool paths and it is fixed but not always.
This is very frustrating and sometimes extremly time consuming. Do any of you have any suggestions on what might be happening and how I can remedy this. Unfortunately I have no training on this software and I have had to teach myself so I am not familiar with all the exact terms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Shop Data Systems

Post by srp »

What format are you saving your inkscape dwg to. I tried saving in different formats and opening in
corel -DXF only had text info, PDF was ok, WMF was all screwed up. The dxf however did open in my General Cadd. If you are saving in a dxf format the version you are saving in might not be compatible with with your sds system. If your sds system is older you might try using a earlier ver of the dxf. Post an example of a part that is giving you problems and I'm sure you will get alot of good minds with alot of experience come up with a solution. Check with SDS and determine what ver. of dxf works with their import command. - John
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

When using Inkscape I convert my drawings to DXF and then open them with the SDS draw program I dont import because I have never been able to get anything that i have tried to import to work it crashes the software which is another problem that happens but I just make sure I save often. These extra circles arent limited to just dxf files that I bring in but also items that we have drawn in the program itself. It is a fickle mistress I will say. The Dirt bike stand that I attached was made with the SDS draw program completely including the 13 was from its own font library and i had to to retrace the whole thing unfortunately I have posted the clean version and dont have a copy of it with the circles. Also you only see these extra circles when you apply your tool path. They are never on the drawing itself.
Attachments
DB STAND.DXF
made completely in SDS draw program
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
SABERTOOTH_PUZZLE.DXF
from this site and opened in SDS
(133.84 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

Fickle mistress -well stated. Going back to your first post and the "detailed piece" might be a clue. Your HVAC fittings are very simple with large arc and not many elements. I sometimes have the same thing happen when I go to cut and an extra circle appears. Most of my drawings are very detailed and have many arcs in a very small space. When I notice this happening I go back into the area of the drawing and sometimes have to combine multiple arc into one or even substitute lines for the arcs. Sometimes the arcs are not joining at a smooth angle and moving the joining point to smooth things out helps. I believe this happens when the post processor ( SDS) writes the G & M Codes for the table controller. There are different ways to interpolate the info to obtain the arc or curve. With HVAC fittings this only needs to be simple - Beginning -End and Center.With detailed drawings a more accurate method might be needed. From the Multicam site I notice the controller will accept both HPGL (Plotter) and M & G Codes for the operation. For your graphic designs you might be able to use a different post processor to work with your machine along side your HVAC package using the same dnc link. Check with Multicam.
Chapter 2:
Inkscape .47 has problems with it's dxf format. The best luck I had saving a simple drawing and opening in Corel was as an eps. Nothing else would be recognized as a single path.You have a good machine and from what I have seen of your work once you get this figured out we will be seeing your work everywhere.This is a link to the linkscape forum with alot of good information http://www.inkscapeforum.com/. Most of us never had anyone to show us either and we had to figure out these things. Aren"t you glad you can read - thank a teacher. - John
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

Thanks for the information. It makes me feel a little better that it isnt just me (i was starting to feel alittle inferior). When (trying to be positive of course) we start making a bunch of custom art projects I will try to convince the owner to purchase a program that is designed to do it these things but until then I will keep learning as much as I can on my own. If it was easy it wouldnt be worth anything.

Also thanks to everyone of the awesome designers and fabricators on this site that are willing to share there hard earned knowledge with me and each other it is priceless in my eyes. I wish I had the money to donate to this site but I will try to pay it forward with what designs that I come up with on my own and what little knowledge I have.

Return to “General Discussion”