SOLVED - Finds start point fires then stops right away

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

SOLVED - Finds start point fires then stops right away

Post by Capstone »

Problem Solved EDIT: So after a few different thread starts on a couple of forums, I have joined the ranks of people who owe Jim Colt a debt of gratitude for his vast experience and helpfulness. It turns out that the Eastwood Versa Cut 40 is a 30year old Hypertherm design that the Chinese copied and sell as an in-house brand through Eastwood. Here's the nut of it; it uses a "High Frequency" starter which disrupts the PC running the MACH3 software and basically can never function in a CNC environment..

No need to read any further. I just wanted to update everyone following this.

So I've done all of the following on a new table build and have made it all the way to finally doing a test cut.

First, the baseline:
Table Stats X = 46" usable, Y = 26" usable.
CandCNC Bladerunner AIO with Four (4) 620oz motors
MACH3
SheetCAM TNG
Eastwood VersaCut 40(amp)
very clean air
Good ground
a piece of HR 16g (with mill scale still on)
Floating Head "Z" switch wired and working
DTHC with the CAL/Test working (it went straight to 126volts)
The torch fires manually from the CandCNC CAV-10 break out board

So, here's where I get lost/stuck...

I loaded up g-code file using the standard Plasma Tool and export the .tap file, then once it's loaded into MACH3 (using the MP3000 DTHC/DCC post processor) I then select the HT45 16g 45A Tool file from MACH3.

The machine goes out to the proper spot on the piece, "Z" goes down to reference and comes back up .059, then the torch switch, along with the air comes on, but there's only a brief "sputter" and the process stops.

I'm hoping this is something simple and I'm just too stupid to see it. If anyone has an idea, I welcome the help.

Thanks
Last edited by Capstone on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Hoping Someone can help, please

Post by vmax549 »

Sounds like the Ground was not hooked to the piece of metal . It will go SSpputtzzss and then shut off.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

The amount of times I have left the ground lead off is rediculous, but I'm getting better :lol:

What I'd do in a situation like this is check the signal / relay that tells the plasma cutter to turn on is remaining on. On my Candcnc system there's an LED on the relay board. Assuming the signal remains, then this at least isolates the problem to the plasma cutter itself and not the computer/software which is controlling it.

Are all the connections along the ground cable good, not just the clamp on the metal. If they are then seems something is wrong in the plasma cutter itself.

With my Hypertherm 1250, even if the torch signal is of a very brief duration I get more of a crack than a sputter, so like Terry says it sounds more like a problem on the cutter side. Even if I left my ground lead off I still get a definite "crack" not a sputter.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks both of you for the replies and suggestions.

I think it's gotta be something to do with the DTHCII offset and the Post processor setting the torch height within the G-Code or something related to the settings, but even if I turn off the DTHC within MACH3, I still get the same *sputter*.

I do have the work clamp on the piece, but is it really possible that the millscale affects the DTHC controls more so than just using the hand torch because I manually tested the torch switch from the CandCNC RAV-01 board and it worked fine but I was still able to use the hand torch with the DTHCII/DCP etc hooked up and it still worked great, and it was on the exact same piece of metal I am testing the table on.

/confused and frustrated
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I am sure this issue is related to the Post processor tool selection and the unmatched tools between Sheetcam and MACH3.

I can't figure this out. if someone knows of a video tutorial that does a good job of explaining the process of getting the tools to match and how to create new tools that would be really helpful.

I have a Eastwood VersaCut 40(amp) Plasma Cutter. It works well up to 1/8" which is fine for my needs as of now. I just need to get over this hump.

Thanks for any help.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by timberfab »

what is your reference distance set to in sheetcam 0.059? Check your Tool file. Do you have the Initial cut height set correctly?
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Yes... .059 is what is showing in Sheetcam. I have a touch and go Z axis with a "home" switch. I followed the CandCNC instructions to reference the "Z" and double check that it has a paper-thin clearance and then zero the DRO. I have done this, but when the G-code runs, the torch appears to settle too high above the piece of metal before it tries to fire.

Again, I'm sure it's something dumb, but each time I hit "run" and the torch goes out, touches, comes back up, sputters, then nothing. It's grounded, the air pressure is perfect and clean, the consumables are brand new, so it has to be a software tool setting that Sheetcam and Mach3 aren't working out.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

x
Last edited by beefy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

capstone go here http://arclightcnc.com/training.html they are tutorials for sheet cam and mach

you have to have mach and sheet cam set the same . I made that mistake

do you have youre air cranked up to 120 ?
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks Abmagrum. I'll check out the videos.

I have 150psi very dry air straight to the cutter, which then regulates the air down to 60 psi when its running, which is what the mfr states is the recommended settings for this cutter. Eastwood VersaCut 40. I realize it's not a HT, but it's all I can afford at the moment and it worked just fine as a hand torch once I got the air dried out and up to the recommended pressure
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”