Water Table Pan Depth vs. Cut Amperage

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Water Table Pan Depth vs. Cut Amperage

Post by urbnsr »

Hello,

I currently have a Longevity 80 amp plasma cutter and a water pan 2-1/2" deep. Although I have cut very little at 80 amps and mostly at 40-65 amps, the bottom of the pan doesn't show signs of heating.

I am in the middle of re-configuring my (now hobby) CNC table a bit and that means a new water pan. Ideally, I will upgrade to a Hypertherm if this current setup will prove somewhat profitable. I am suspicious that a Hypertherm cutter has a more capable power supply than the unit I am using now and I wonder if my 80 amps now is not giving me the true picture. Should I go deeper on the water pan. Under-table clearance would start suffering if I go too much deeper without some (more) reconfiguring. Not against that, but if I don't need deeper, I'd stay the course.

Also - Go with stainless steel pan or remake with 10ga mild steel that I use now?

Any input appreciated. Thank You!
Paul
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Water Table Pan Depth vs. Cut Amperage

Post by grindergary »

I was told that any air plasma eg Hypertherm 105 will not cut deep enough to hit the bottom of your pan. I have just cut 1" material with 105 Amps and 2 1/2" deep pan with no problems.

Last week when I cleaned out the pan, I sprayed the pan down and it was clean to the point there was only a black layer on it and it came off very easy in places. My pan is only 12 guage plate.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

Mine is .250" mild steel with .375" removable frames for the slats. It's 5" deep and the water will get pretty warm after cutting .375 for 4 hours or so. The frames are 0.75" below the water and have not cut marks on them.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
KeeYaw
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by KeeYaw »

Stay tuned.....Jim Colt will drop in with suggestion soon. :D Jim has been with Hypertherm for 35+ yrs. He started there at age 5. Lol ;)
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Thanks! I appreciate all the insight.

Paul
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

What kind of edge quality are you getting with the Longevity? I would think most of your improvements would be related to smoother, dross free edges, especially on thinner materials. I've also talked to people who say the Cutmaster by Thermal Dynamics is also a very goo plasma cutter, especially on thinner materials, for edge quality.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Edge quality does vary. But there are enough variables that I can't say one thing could fix MY issues. I am satisfied with what I have for what I have in it, but still...

This is a piece of 3/8" aluminum I cut earlier. All I did before the picture was to turn the plate over.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

2-1/2" deep water will protect the pan with any plasma up to about 260 amps. Worst case, you will boil the water (212 degrees). I use water and downdraft in my tables.....I have a 6" pan of water with the water surface 8" below the bottom of the metal being cut. Downdraft puls air around the edges of the water pan. Advantage? Water traps 80% or so of the plasma smoke, the downdraft takes care of the rest. A smaller air flow rate and no water splash (rust, water on moving machine parts).

Jim Colt

urbnsr wrote:Hello,

I currently have a Longevity 80 amp plasma cutter and a water pan 2-1/2" deep. Although I have cut very little at 80 amps and mostly at 40-65 amps, the bottom of the pan doesn't show signs of heating.

I am in the middle of re-configuring my (now hobby) CNC table a bit and that means a new water pan. Ideally, I will upgrade to a Hypertherm if this current setup will prove somewhat profitable. I am suspicious that a Hypertherm cutter has a more capable power supply than the unit I am using now and I wonder if my 80 amps now is not giving me the true picture. Should I go deeper on the water pan. Under-table clearance would start suffering if I go too much deeper without some (more) reconfiguring. Not against that, but if I don't need deeper, I'd stay the course.

Also - Go with stainless steel pan or remake with 10ga mild steel that I use now?

Any input appreciated. Thank You!
Paul
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Great - Thanks Jim and all. I appreciate your time.

Paul

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”