No finish or grinding.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kncmachine
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

No finish or grinding.

Post by kncmachine »

Just got some feedback from several different sources that selling art pieces without any finish or grinding is desired. Has anyone had any experience with this. It could make my job easier. Just don't know if offering a cheaper option is good or not. Any thoughts? Thanks
Arclight Dynamics, ArcPro 12000 5x10 table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
Gimp
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: No finish or grinding.

Post by AnotherDano »

One of my competitors has ski resort all locked up with small (2.5/3") pieces in a lobby display rack.

They are bears etc, with heavy dross intact.
Seems to be doing well with them.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

I generally use a written quote and will often offer a base price (un sanded/un finished) I call "Natural Rust" with an option for grinding/sanding/sanding/finish/clearcoat........show them an example OR picture of product both ways

The important thing is to offer an option to finish it...that way if they want cheap, they get cheap...

I have been a bit surprised a few times, they will actually want a rustic look but did not know how to ask or describe it

Other customers will tell me they want to finish it themselves, IE one customer owns an auto body shop, another customer is an air brush artist etc

Others want it un finished because it is cheaper and say, "I can just spray can some color" I say fine, and proceed to tell them in detail exactly how to do it......and where to buy the too;s and supplies.............angle grind the back with 30 grit, then power block or angle grind the front with 120 grit, apply patina or paint after, and then apply automotive clear coat.....I tell them how to finish it themselves........which typically results in them having me just go ahead and do the entire job....when they understand the process....and have a mental image of them doing all these steps on their own....correctly....the very first time they attempt it.......they realize they cannot do it and make it look as well as I can......love those....makes me smile...... and I say, no problem, you made the right choice Mr customer

Marty
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
ssbn.981
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ssbn.981 »

hi,
i am just getting good enough to start selling. hardest part now is to what to charge. can any one give me some advice please. ya gotta figure in steel, consumables, design time, electricity etc.

thanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”