Powder coat peeling

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
jcustom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powder coat peeling

Post by jcustom »

Bearings wearing powder coat off the frame rails . Any one having this problem? Or know how to fix it ?
Jimmy Custom
KHAOTIX IRONWORK
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Powder coat peeling

Post by weldor2005 »

A picture would be an awesome start, because I am curious to know what the problem is for when someone posts a solution.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Dan-PlasmaCAM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Dan-PlasmaCAM »

jcustom wrote:Bearings wearing powder coat off the frame rails . Any one having this problem? Or know how to fix it ?

That is normal. Blow it off with compressed air as needed.
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by planetxfred »

I would go a step farther and say to feel of the surface & make sure it is smooth, and no lumps or bumps. If bumpy it will make the torch wiggle as the rollers go over the rough surface. If needed, take a file or blade or a bit of sandpaper to smooth it out.
Fred
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

The video for table setup even has a segment on it that tells you if this starts to chip or peel(which it will...that is inevitable) to clean it off so that it is smooth.
Brian
Leeway
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Leeway »

Part of it is in the metal prep and another part in the type of powder coating used, but the critical part is that it is used as a bearing surface. No powder coating I know of is designed for such extreme duty. I think even black oxide would wear away in that scenario.
To keep them from rusting, you can rub a candle up and down them a few times or even use paste wax. The paste wax will actually help clean it initially and then seal it once dry.
If rusty already, you might use some Boesfeld to remove it and stop the oxidization, then seal.
I don't have a plasma cam, but do this with both my router and my plasma cutter. Both have steel rails run on by skate bearings.
Works great.
Lee
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

The powdercoat had already popped off my Samson when I opened up the crate. The steel was rusty.

Allen
VPT
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by VPT »

Powdercoat can be some real junk if not applied right. People I make parts for use all sorts of coatings for the parts. I have probably seen every possible coating known to man on the parts I have made. Powdercoat done correctly holds up great, just like it should. But I have seen more than a few jobs where the powdercoat seem to have pin holes in it and lets corrosion or pitting start and I have also seen powdercoat just simply peal off like the wax off cheese.

It looks as though plasmacam does a good job with the powdercoating and the stuff on mine is in great shape. But I am sure just like any company, no matter what is being made or coated eventually there will be that "bad batch" and it may not be the manufactures fault. Could be the powder supplier, the oven, the steel, etc.

The wearing off where the bearings ride is just inevitable.

Mine is also wearing where the bearings ride and I have been thinking to myself what I want to do about it. The candle wax is a good idea that Leeway mentioned. I was thinking of using teflon spray, it is a lube that drys and should stay put. I don't have any rust starting at all yet and my shop stays pretty dry so I may never have a rust problem and might not have to coat it with anything. I'd like to hear other ideas though about coating or lubes that can and have been used and work. :)

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”