My DIY Paint Booth - Input needed

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

My DIY Paint Booth - Input needed

Post by Capstone »

So I'm in the final stages of what I think (as a laymen) is a solid design, but something came up that has me concerned so I thought I'd ask the question.

Knowing that I'm going to use urethanes (HVLP) and Airbrushing, what's the risk of fire or worse using this arrangement of these three blowers? There's a high flow filter and the exhaust goes outside. What's the likelihood that vapors from any of the solvents would ignite?

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: My DIY Paint Booth - Input needed

Post by _Ogre »

the filter will only work if you have a door on your booth
and unless your fans are explosion proof there is a chance of fire and explosion
those blowers look like they have the motor in the air stream... kaboom :mrgreen:

if you have to have an open sided booth blow air thru the filters
having your fans blow thru the booth will also reduce your chance of fire/explosion
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks Ogre, I hear ya. I'm trying to create a downdraft and I don't have the room to enclose the space. Blowing air (even through filters) will likely push containments on to the work and the fumes won't be removed from my garage.

I can't tell if these Ventilaters from Harborfeight are brushless, but I'm guessing they are not, which is the reason for the risk.

I've read that the air/fuel mix needed for a running motor like this to ignite is so high, you'd need to be in a totally enclosed space and likely pass out from the fumes first. The real risk is switching on the fans after the area is already laced with vapors.

For as many examples of entire garages turned into paint booths using basic box fans, I didn't see any mention about these setups exploding and they are putting a lot more vapors into the air.

Any other thoughts or actual experiences with similar set-ups from anyone?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Blowing air (even through filters) will likely push containments on to the work and the fumes won't be removed from my garage.
my experience is with automotive paint booths with doors
the nicer booths have 2 fans; one fan pushes air thru the intake filters into the booth and one fan sucks air out of the booth thru another set of filters
pushing air thru a filter into the booth works for $10,000 paint jobs. granted we use filters a little better than a furnace filter

with only exhaust fans in an open booth the only air you will exhaust will be coming in the front opening, with all of it's contaminants
the only dust or dirt you will see on the top filter will be dust that settles on it, there will be no air flow thru that filter

as for explosion proof? the only way for an electric motor to be explosion proof is to either buy explosion proof motors, very expensive
or remove the motor from the air/vapor stream, which is how a paint booth would do it
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”