Air compresser?

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Mr.Dirt
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Air compresser?

Post by Mr.Dirt »

What air compressors do you guys like? How long do you expect a compressor to last?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Air compresser?

Post by Gamelord »

Quincy

20+ years if properly maintained.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

Just sold mine 80 gallon and am looking at a Dewalt as a replacement.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Lol a harbor freight 29 gallon. Been taking a beating for a year and a half
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've had my Quincy 60 gallon for about 2 years now. Great compressor, more than meets my needs. I expect it will last the rest of my life and probably my sons too.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I got the Quincy QT-54 and I love it. More air than I need and it our supplies the plasma cutter.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Quincy QT5. The pump is supposed to last for 50000 hours or if run nonstop 8hrs day/5 days a week, should last 24 hours. If it lasts that long I'd say I got my money's worth. I'd probably replace whatever broke on it instead of get a new one, meaning I do not foresee needing a new one as long as I do this. It would actually be a good thing if I had to get a new one, it would mean I am upgrading and business is doing well. Hopefully I have to replace it.
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

The IR 30T compressor was my dad's and bought new in 1976 and run continually since than. The hot line out of the pump is now routed into a fan cooled condenser and on to a refrigerated dryer inside the shop and back outside to the tank in the compressor room. The reason for that was after draining rusty water out of the tank weekly I knew it was time to keep the tank dry or lose it to corrosion. Most expensive industrial facility compressors will dry the air to some extent before it goes into the tank.

A refrigerated dryer before the tank is adequate for air operated tools and such but the plasma cutter still needs a desiccant filter before the cutter air inlet as I found out. In fact, as many are finding out with any humidity the refrigerated dryer will not give you 100% dry air..

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Copp3r »

I know for most of the folks on this forum this may be a bit over the top... however... I've been running an 80 gal. 10 HP air compressor for a years now BUT.... as with most typical compressors, it is LOUD !!! Or should I say, "was" loud.
I dropped a bunch of money on a rotary screw air compressor and in simple terms, it "hums." You can stand beside it and chat with only a slightly raised voice as opposed to having to run to another room and close the door for a standard machine.

Good luck with your choice...

Copp3r / roger
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

Mine has lasted 55 years and is used everyday . Spend 4500 on a new Quincy and you won't need another one for 50 or 60 years .
Mine came out of a ford dealer and used all day long .Quincy is the stuff !
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”