Help....Consumables burning out

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Nibex
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help....Consumables burning out

Post by Nibex »

Hello

I have a hypertherm powermax 65, the consumables are burning out very fast the last one the nozzle only lasted 8 pierces, any suggestions
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Help....Consumables burning out

Post by urbnsr »

From what I have read, piercing too close or pierce delay not long enough can damage a nozzle quickly. You may want to check your actual Z height. That's what I would check first. I'm not sure how quick over-driving a nozzle would damage it. By that, I mean running 65 amps with a 45 amp nozzle.

Air quality (dry air) might be something else to look into, but I gather that would take longer to damage the nozzle unless, maybe, the air is dripping with moisture.

GL
Paul
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help....Consumables burning out

Post by jimcolt »

Better pictures of the used nozzles and shields (the one you sent to my personal email is too blurry) as well as details about the material thickness and type, all of your cutting specs (amperage, pierce height, cut height, pierce delay time, cut speed, etc.) will help us help you troubleshoot.

If you are using the correct consumables and cutting specs within the capabilities of the Powermax you generally can achieve 300 to 1500 pierces on a single set of consumables. Most often….when nozzles are wearing rapidly it is due to incorrect pierce heiht and pierce delay times….or piercing materials that are too thick…or possibly using a nozzle beyond is amperage rating.

I look forward to more details so we can help you optimize the Powermax uniut.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”