Cutting Question

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
scweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting Question

Post by scweld »

We recently purchased a Tracker CNC plasma for our welding program. It is up and running and we have cut out some nice things but the real reason we purchased it was to aid in our metal prep for the welding classes. I am having trouble figuring out how to lay out the cut without the machine cutting unnecessarily. We cut our 3/8" plate to 8" wide by 48" long on the OFC track torch. I need to cut that 8"x48" into 2"x8" strips that the students use for welding Tee Joints. The problem I am having is making the machine go up 2" cut the 8" length go up another 2" and cut the 8" length in the opposite direction and repeat the process for the 48" length. I'd like it to stop cutting during the 2" travel but when I draw the program in Corel and cut out the 2? travel lines the torch wants to return to the home position after each cut and always go from left to right. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cutting Question

Post by admin »

I would set your page size in Corel Draw to your 8"x48" dimension to simulate the size of your material.

Draw a 8" line 2" from the bottom of your page, duplicate it and place the duplicate 2" above the first line, then continue to duplicate that 8" line every 2" until you are at the top of your 8"x48" page.

Export your file and open using Tracker software. Locate your plasma torch to the bottom left corner of your material and run the plot. If you want it to cut right>left then left>right every other part you will need to change the cut direction of half of your lines in the Tracker software.

Hope this helps.

admin
scweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scweld »

Is there a manual available for the Command n' Cut software? I didn't get any manuals but I am familiar with the Corel program. I am having trouble figuring out the command n' cut as far as changing cut direction. Thanks!
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting question

Post by plasmanewbie »

I know that Tracker provides no manuals at all with their system which is odd. They told me they do all their training over the phone. Sounds great but I have heard that their tech support department is pretty weak lately and seems to be getting worse.
I have been looking at upgrading my Plasmacam with a Tracker machine at some point this year. I would be very interested to hear how everything works for you. I am starting to have second thoughts. Keep us posted.
I reccomend calling Tracker and having them train you on using their software although I am sure someone else on this board could help.

Plasmanewbie
scweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scweld »

Thanks. I am disappointed that they did not include any manuals with the machine. I have used the Corel and Cad before many times so that is ok but I just can't figure out the command n' cut program. Now I like the machine and I have drawn and cut many items but I am having trouble with the repetitve, simple cuts. I will call tracker next week and talk to them about my problem but I would love to have a manual since I am not the only one that uses the machine and I don't want to have to train everyone.
jim
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jim »

Try this in corel draw the tool bar at the right of the screen create a 8 x 48 rectangle then up farther in the tool bar open the pencil and draw lines across every 2 inches till you use up the 48 inches export this to comand and cut. after you open it click on edit plot you will be able to change cut paths there. if you have a problem call me and i will create the same drawing and go through it with you over the phone 519 527 2060
JIm (murals in metal)
scweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scweld »

Thanks a lot. I am on my way out town tommorow to Miami. When I get back I am going to try your suggests and call if I can't figure it out. Thanks again!

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”