Newbie and lead ins.

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Newbie and lead ins.

Post by Countryguy »

Hi everyone,

I've read thru so many Lead in posts that I'm even more unsure- So I'm going to post now.
In short- Can Seetcam understand how to flip (inverse) the lead in side on Material?

the long: Hi Everyone - LEADINs w/ Sheetcam TNG.
Setup: Bladerunner, (Aug 2013) Precision Plasma 4x8 table. DHTC II, Mach 3, Shetcam 5.0.14

Whats up: Sheetcam keeps putting the lead in's where it thinks my waste material is. But I want the inverse of that.
I am making a Logo w/ letters in a large Circle. The letters when cut will fall out and are the waste. I cannot get sheetcam to understand this? In will always put the lead in's outside the letter and on the Material I want to use as the final product.

So- I tried to make my own leadIns inside the logo letters. All the run does is go cut the little arc leadins (say .125 to .25) and after cutting every one individually (the lead ins only) only then will it start cutting the parts. I've tried to read and experiment w/ every option on SheetCam? Puzzled!
CG

My Newbie tip: Being so new- When I put my part into Sheetcam and see way too many cut points- I now know to go back into Draftsight, Zoom way in and do line/connection/node point clean up!
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Newbie and lead ins.

Post by m79b01 »

Can you post the dxf? It sounds like you may have an issue with the drawing.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Newbie and lead ins.

Post by beefy »

If you have "outside offset" selected, change it to "inside offset". Visa versa if its the other way round.

Hope that helps,

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

RESOLVED- Tip note: Newbie and lead ins.

Post by Countryguy »

Yep. That did it. I also popped a note up w/ CandCNC and got the following back:
Change the type cut you are trying to do , SheetCAM will always place the leadins on the side you tell it is the "scrap". You tell it that by selecting an inside or outside cut. If you select and inside cut eh leading will be on the inside of the cut. If you select an outside it will put it ont the outside of the cut. You cannot define which side of a closed object has the leadin except by defining which side of the toolpath you want to cut. The direction of cut makes no difference

The SheetCam 'help' file simply notes the following:(below) ... Not too revealing but it's what did the trick!~
Note: 'Inside offset' will offset the cutter path to the 'inside' of the contour by half the diameter of the tool chosen below.
Note: 'Outside offset' will offset the cutter path to the 'outside' of the contour by half the diameter of the tool chosen below.
Note: 'No offset' will set the centre of the tool on the contour line.

Return to “SheetCam”