dxf Art

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Kenny Burleson
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

dxf Art

Post by Kenny Burleson »

Just a word, I have just joined and got the great art from Cascade for my 20.00. A word to the wise, some of the other great art that is shared on here, is not grouped and when you cut it, it just falls apart as seperate pieces. Make sure you blow it up and connect everything before you waste your steel. I had 4 different art files ruined yesterday because I assumed they were cut ready. I know this was not done intentionally, but check before you cut. I am pretty new at all of this and have a lot to learn myself. Thanks to all the contributors on this site.
Kenny Burleson
Phoenyx Fyre Art Works
Canyon Lake,Tx
Plasmacam 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
MetalTorcher
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: dxf Art

Post by MetalTorcher »

Hi Kenny, that is sage advice. With your Plasmacam software when you import the file place a marquee around the whole thing (the image will turn green) and press the "link" command. This will link everything automatically and your closed paths should all be purple. All your open paths will be white. The other thing I do after linking is again select the whole file, select "smooth", type in .01 and hit "enter". Really smoothens things up and removes a lot of nodes. In fact, I've noticed after converting a dxf for different ones here and I repost it the file size is a lot smaller.
Jason Lyon
PlasmaCAM DHC2
Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
Duramax mini torch with Snap n Cut
Everlast PowerMTS 251si
Torturing metal since 2014
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

yes you have to inspect the files . they are free and a lot are done by beginners
you still will come out ahead.
just remember always check the file before cutting

and always double check any info if you are not sure.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Import the file into your cad software and try and fill with colour where the solid bit is (i.e. you don't want to be filling the bits that are meant to drop out). This lets you know if the curves are closed and also make it very visible to the eye. Any bits which are not part of the whole don't get filled are are easy to spot.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
LJJJBAWO
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by LJJJBAWO »

Hi, just joined myself and really enjoy the artwork on here. This might seem silly but how do I access the free Cascade software I picked when I joined? It has got me stumped?
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

If you don't get it by tomorrow .
email the administrator he will get it to you.
don't worry you will get them
and you will like this place
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

In PlasmaCam you can highlight the image and do a print preview. It will show you how the image will look when cut and makes it easier to detect dropouts.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”