advice hsd 130

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

advice hsd 130

Post by rikduk »

We just bought a new bulltear table with hypertherm hsd 130. So far , everythings going great.
But once in a while, and particularly today on aluminium, instead of starting the arc, the pilot will zap 1 or 2 or 3 times before igniting properly. I have good grounding , torch height and plasma /sheild flow at hypertherm spec, inlet at 106 psi machine reading.
Just wanted to know if i should worry about damaging something.

thanks
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: advice hsd 130

Post by rikduk »

forgot to say, i put down the plasma and shield flow about 2-3 cfm, and it seems to help, can i put them lower?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The plasma gas and shield gas pressures should always be set as the cut charts in the manual suggests.....do not change these. If the torch is misfiring, often it is because you are piercing too close to the material, which will short out the pilot arc circuitry especially at lower power levels. Double check that you are setting the pierce height correctly according to suggestion in the cut charts, and check to be sure your height control is achieving that pierce height. If the torch is deflecting the material, then retarcting to pierce height the material may end up too close to the torch when it pierces.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

rikduk wrote:forgot to say, i put down the plasma and shield flow about 2-3 cfm, and it seems to help, can i put them lower?
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Thanks for the fast reply! As said numerous times, you're one of the reasons i went hypetherm.
I didn't say, but i was cutting .250 aluminium at 130 amps with 130 amp consumables.
I never thought being too close could misfire, i thought it would be the contrary.
i dont mind raising a little higher, less possible dross on the shield!

Thanks again!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”