Is it Corel draw or Sheet cam?

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Is it Corel draw or Sheet cam?

Post by OTHill »

Hi I am having problems.I have Coreldraw x3 and when I put a file through it and into Sheet cam there are often open lines and over lapped lines showing up even though in CD nothing shows up no matter how close I zoom in.Any ideas anyone? thanks in advance.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Is it Corel draw or Sheet cam?

Post by Gamelord »

I don't have Sheetcam so it is hard for me to say which one is giving you fits. But, you can have open objects and overlapping lines in your drawing in Corel and zooming in may not show them. The best way to see if you have overlapping lines is to click on the line, move it and see if something is underneath. This will also let you know what is joined (connected) and what is not. If nothing shows up underneath then just hit the "undo" and put it back where it was. You can also select multiple objects by holding down the shift key and clicking on them. One thing I do to make sure I have no duplicates is to select all objects by holding down the shift key and clicking on them and then move the entire drawing to the side where I know everything is clear, then draw a box around the area that the object was to see if something is there. If there is something there it will be selected with the box. Sometimes you get objects that have no fills (color) and no outlines, so on a white background the object is virtually invisible.

If you are positive there are no duplicates, then send it to Sheetcam. If duplicates show up then you know it is either in the export or in Sheetcam.

As for open objects, you will need to join all the nodes together to close it. Easy way to see if an object is closed (all connected) is to fill it with color. If it fills correctly then it is usually closed. If it doesn't fill or fills screwy, then you know you have open nodes.

Again, if you know it is closed in Corel but when you import it in Sheetcam the object is open, then your problem is either in the export or with Sheetcam.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
KM Koncepts
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by KM Koncepts »

I know I'm new to this but I also am getting coreldraw x3 and from what ive read in these forums the open segments you have is an issue with the software in x3. It doesnt have a join nodes in the software and they fixed it later in coreldraw x5 I believe. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong and have my information incorrect. I believe you can go into the software section of this forum on coreldraw and read it there.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Not sure about X3 or X4, but the "Join nodes" feature is in X5. This feature is very nice when you get a drawing that is broken into hundreds of segments - like some come through as on here.

Even without that feature, you can still join the nodes, you will just have to do it individually instead of mass-selection. It just takes a lot more time to accomplish.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

Gamelord wrote:As for open objects, you will need to join all the nodes together to close it. Easy way to see if an object is closed (all connected) is to fill it with color. If it fills correctly then it is usually closed. If it doesn't fill or fills screwy, then you know you have open nodes.
This.

I had X3 for many years and upgraded to X6 this year. It was like $45 from Corel. Anyway, to check for open line segments, use the magic fill button. If the object does not fill correctly then you know it is not fully closed. Start sectioning the drawing up with lines to make smaller fillable sections. When you find a section that does not fill correctly, that is the area you need to concentrate on. Just make smaller and smaller sections until you locate the area that is not closed.

I've found that even though I could not see a break in the nodes, there was one there. I use the node option to move two nodes apart then back together. This seems to close them better.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

How did you manage to upgrade to CDx6 for $45.00?
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Stout

Post by Stout »

Corel sent me an email to let me know that during the first 90 days of the X6 release in 2012, I could upgrade from X3 for $45. Offer expired June of 2012. It pays to have a registered product.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks Stout I guess I don't qualify for that one.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I think I found the problem Les Newel at Sheet cam said I should work with SVG files instead of DXF and that seems to work thanks all of you.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”