parallel port cable extension

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
deannasanmiguel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

parallel port cable extension

Post by deannasanmiguel »

I need to get a longer parallel port so that we can move the computer farther away from our plasmacam table. I'm not sure what to search for, most that I find online are printer cables. will that work? or is there a specific cord I should be searching for?
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: parallel port

Post by Craig »

Printer cables are about all that?s out there. There is a limit of 15 feet. But the longer the cable the more chance of interference, so a cable with more shielding would be best. Don't buy the cheapest one you find a quality cable will save you both time and money. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
deannasanmiguel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

thank you Craig, I just need to move it about 8 to 10 feet, just wasn't sure if a printer cable would work...
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

You have to watch the ends of the cable. In my setup, I need two male ends, When you say printer cable, I'm afraid it has the centronics parallel printer plug on one end and I doubt you would want that. I could be wrong...

HTH
Paul
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Paul the Plasmacam controller has a Centronics connection; I think they did it this was to allow regular printer cable to work. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Got it. Thanks....
deannasanmiguel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: parallel port cable extension

Thank you Craig...I will order one.....
drakus
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: parallel port cable extension

Post by drakus »

go to c2g.com

about the cheapest around. printer cables are the same no matter what, parralell ports are bi-directional as printers are. get a db25 male-female and you are good.

The 15 foot is bogus, i run my pcam with a 25 foot cable no problems. As long as the cable is shielded, there should be no interferance at all. IF you get any interferance, wrap aluminum foil around the cable and ground it.

I run my cable right next to the power cable for my pm65 not a problem in over a year.
--------------------------------------------------
Ted
Pcam DHC2 with the works
PM 30, 45 & 65
Corel Draw X6 - Adobe CS5

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”