plasma table water RECIPE

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

plasma table water RECIPE

Post by abmagrum »

Does anyone use it? Is it safe ? Some say its cancer causing. Are they over reacting ?

PLASMA QUENCH RECIPE

Here's the recipe for home-made PlasmaQuench
1/4 pound of sodium nitrite powder ($15/pound)
1 teaspoon of Physan 20 ($8/8oz bottle)
1 oz Ultramarine blue food-grade dye ($5/oz.)
Mix well, treats 75 gallons of water.

Thanks
Al
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: plasma table water RECIPE

Post by elvenhome21 »

I have about a 90-100 gallon table and have well over a pound of sodium nitrite in it, And I still get a ton of flash rust. The slats seem to be doing good but they still have the mill scale on them so hard to tell how everything is doing under the water line, (pan is painted)

I had originally put dye pellets that were supposed to treat 150 gallons in it, but you could hardly tell there was any dye in it after about a day.

overall the sodium nitrite I guess kinda works but its no miracle rust inhibitor. It seems like once you start cutting all the cut material sediment starts to rust in the water anyways and turns the water a rust color.
Bonzi Metalworks
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

abmagrum wrote:Does anyone use it? Is it safe ? Some say its cancer causing. Are they over reacting ?
I dont bother adding dye any more, it is purely cosmetic.

It doesn't prevent rust, but it does a very good job of retarding it. As for causing cancer, it seems everything causes cancer these day. Sodium nitrite is a salty preservative found in processed meat. Unless you are drinking the plasma quench then I'd be more worried about hot dogs, deli meats, etc.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

Here is a detailed post I did awhile back on this subject.....I would not use sodium nitrite personally....I have had exlnt results using Sodium Carbonate (NOT Sodium Bi Carbonate)...the post has all the info you would ever want to know on what works for me anyway ...there are pictures as well...

here is the link http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ter#p28119

Marty
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Thanks, Guys
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”