Recommended IEEE 1284 cableFor plasmacam

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
superfly611
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Recommended IEEE 1284 cableFor plasmacam

Post by superfly611 »

I was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on a parallel port cable For a plasmacam. I was looking at this cable.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Components ... ional+Gold
Would that be good enough? I can't remember if it's male to male or male to female connector.
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Recommended IEEE 1284 cableFor plasmacam

Post by planetxfred »

One end plugs into the parallel card with a standard DB plug. the other end is a Centronics plug that has notches on the sides where the "bails" click in to hold it in place. If it is listed as a parallel printer cable it should have the right ends.
It does need to be well shielded. Sad to say there is a variable that seems to be unknown. I have had two seemingly identical cables, one works perfect the other was a no go.
Expensive does not guarantee that it will work. Shorter is better, They say 6 feet long as a max, Some have used longer, but much greater risk of communication errors with longer cables. My advice on this, make sure you have a good downdraft system, and tuck your computer in nice & close & use a short cable. Last but not least, don't be neat and bundle all the wires and cables together in nice neat bundles. That will nearly guarantee errors.
How's that for not much about what you asked for and lots that you did not ask for.
Fred
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

Hi!

Amazon's ad says it's a bidirectional, Centronics - DB25, IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port printer cable- that's exactly what you want.

For other choices, search for "bitronics" cables - check that they match the above description. We have one branded Manhattan, item number 303033. Works perfectly, was cheap.

Good luck!
superfly611
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by superfly611 »

planetxfred wrote:How's that for not much about what you asked for and lots that you did not ask for.
I appreciate all the experience and help i can get. i was looking at that one i posted because its a good brand and its got the gold contacts. $12 isnt bad and i wanted to get it because i have prime shipping. planetxfred i know you said shorter is better but the way im going to have my table i think i need the 6ft. i think i will get the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... PDKIKX0DER because if i understood you it is the correct requirements.
on another note what dryer do you have? i have the DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 3-Stage Air Filter/Dryer Unit in mind.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PR ... DOZFIJNPFB
i have a bunch of credits with amazon so i wont even have to pay for it.
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by planetxfred »

That picture looks right.
By shorter, I meant 6 feet or less. I use a 6 foot cable and it works fine. Others have tried longer cables, many with poor results. ^ foot should be fine.
For a dryer, I have a small refrigerator with 50 feet of 3/8 copper tubing coiled up inside, then it goes thru a water separator, then a desiccant dryer with Silica gel beads, and finally into the moisture separator that came with my Hypertherm Powermax 1000. I have never seen even a drop of water in the last separator.
Your system sounds like it should do fine. Note in the instructions it should be installed at least 25 feet from the compressor (so the air can cool off and the moisture can condense.
Fred
superfly611
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by superfly611 »

I think I saw a picture or video of your setup. I really did not want to have to mess around With an extra apparatus with a bunch of components. If the filter/dryer is good enough then thats the one i will use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PR ... DOZFIJNPFB
do you really need all that extra stuff? besides definitely a desiccant filter/dryer? or are you just extra cautious?
i plan to order it tomorrow if you all think i'll be fine with just the one filter dryer i linked..? thank in advance
i've seen other guys recommending this filter on forums but some are just using air tools or other air devices.
keith

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”