Powder coating cost

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
rkeytek
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Powder coating cost

Post by rkeytek »

Just sent out two of these
to be powdered gloss white. The dog is about 18" long and the skeleton 20" high (with the legs)
The guy came back with a price of $125 for the 2 sets...I thought that was high and just had him do a railing that cost me $350 and it had an area I had to repair from one of their hangers so he said he could go $100.
If I sell these I can't really make a profit with these at that prices.

Is this a fair price for powder? I know I have had similar sized items coated 2 or so years ago for $40-50

Thanks
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Powder coating cost

Post by Gamelord »

Powder is cheap. The cost is firing up the oven and prep. The less prep, the easier it is to powder but the oven costs the same. The thing is that you could probably do 20 pieces for the same cost as 2. Once everything is set up, it is just as easy to spray all 20 and then roll the entire batch into the oven as it is to spray one and put it in the oven.

I don't think the cost for doing just two pieces is that far out of line, but you could probably get the same price for doing 10 or maybe just slightly more for doing 50.

If you do some homework, you could probably find a guy that has a small oven and a gun that is a little hungrier that will shoot both of those pieces for you for $30-$50 bucks.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

Holy crap! Those prices are steeeeeeeeep in my book. Ive hand Railing Inserts, 36"x48", done for $30 bucks a piece. I use a company that makes there own products and has their own powder coating line setup already. They just toss my stuff on hangers and coat it with theirs. They only drawback is i can only get my stuff in Gloss Black, Flat Black or a Wrinkled Semi Black.

Ive priced some local shops that specialize it powder coating. i was shocked. I refurbished an old wagon and talked the owner into powdercoating it fire engine red. Needless to say, i didnt make any money off that project. But the kid that got the wagon was excited.

Ina sense i can see it from both sdes. Powder coaters need to pay for thier equiptment just like us.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
rkeytek
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rkeytek »

JJsCustomDesigns wrote:Holy crap! Those prices are steeeeeeeeep in my book. Ive hand Railing Inserts, 36"x48", done for $30 bucks a piece. I use a company that makes there own products and has their own powder coating line setup already. They just toss my stuff on hangers and coat it with theirs. They only drawback is i can only get my stuff in Gloss Black, Flat Black or a Wrinkled Semi Black.

Ive priced some local shops that specialize it powder coating. i was shocked. I refurbished an old wagon and talked the owner into powdercoating it fire engine red. Needless to say, i didnt make any money off that project. But the kid that got the wagon was excited.

Ina sense i can see it from both sdes. Powder coaters need to pay for thier equiptment just like us.
I was used o he same thing. I would bring my pieces to a wrought iron shop and they would coat some pretty large pieces for me for under $100 same thing though I would only get some sort of black or white powder, only reason I used this shop was because I was already picking up a railing hey did in a metallic finish.

I will definitely bring these pieces o my original shop if I ever want to sell them
alleykat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by alleykat »

I would have charged like $60-70bux for those 2.Prep is easy since they're flat it doesn't take long to blast those.
PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster A60
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

I would shop around..
There are a bunch of bigger shops that do stuff pretty cheap since they have their stuff fired up all the time..
to me those prices are fairly steep, especially since the people buying them wouldnt be able to distinguish powder coated vs. painted on 2 items that are out for 2 weeks a year..
Just my opinion of course..
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
vbtj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by vbtj »

I have some crosses done that are 24" x 14" and I pay $8 each no matter the quanity but then again I spend between $500-$750 a month with my guy. That price is way to high though in my opinion.
MikeyMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MikeyMetals »

Shop around for sure! I know with my powder coater, it all depends on if I meet minimum ($250). Once I hit the min, everything is anywhere from a couple bucks and up.. depending on size and depth obviously.
JTScoatings
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by JTScoatings »

It's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I've been running a PC shop for two years now, and we get both ends of the spectrum; some people are really happy with the price and some others expect their cost to be next to nothing. PC in terms of materials is cheap, with a pound of powder being about $12. You could probably do 10 sets of the skeletons above with only a pound of powder.

However, its all of the other stuff that adds up. Latex gloves for avoiding fingerprints prior to coating, for example, are close to $15/box. We fly through gloves, paper towels, etc like crazy. Not to mention rent and utilities plus some amount of profit that needs to be made as well. People don't realize all of the other supplies and time that goes into coating behind the scene. With that being said, I would have probably charged $75-$90 for those two sets. But, as mentioned, a lot of that is prep time and oven cost. I would probably quote 10 sets somewhere between $200-$250. There still is a decent amount of blasting time to prep them.

For small orders I feel like I have to a lot more per piece, otherwise its not worth it for me to do it. There is a certain cost to having a customer, whether its the time spend dealing with them, the cost of the invoice sheet, the shop and powder supplies, and even just keeping track of their stuff. For our shop, which is based on individual people as customers rather than industrial powdercoating, we need to charge enough to make a profit when our quantity of incoming jobs may not be as high as an industrial type powdercoater. A home setup PC may come in less expensive, but they also don't have the setup to do a wide range of parts like an actual shop has.
Chicagoland Powder Coating
http://www.JTScoatings.com
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I normally just powder coat my own stuff but i have given quotes on some stuff but never get those jobs. I guess my prices are high but its not cheap to powder coat, I had a lady wanting me to powder coat some rusted patio chairs for 25 dollars each i actually LOL. People just want something for free but i charge a fair price and if they don't like it too bad.
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I would do those for like $40-$50

Return to “Powder Coat”