Cutting 1/4" with Fine Cut Consumables

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
peepers
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting 1/4" with Fine Cut Consumables

Post by peepers »

Is it possible to cut 1/4" steel at 40 amps with fine cut consumables.
I have a Powermax 1000 on a 5'X9' table with THC300. In the manual
10 Ga is the thickest shown for fine cut consumables. All input will be
appreciated.
Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting 1/4" with Fine Cut Consumables

Post by jimcolt »

As you say.....the manufacturer (Hypertherm) suggests a maximum thickness of 10 gauge.....however you can cut thicker.......expect shorter consumable life and likely a lot of dross on the bottom edge. The toughest two issues with cutting thicker than 10 ga with these parts: 1. Piercing....these consumables are not shielded (like the rest of the consumable sets are for the Powermax1000) so on materials thicker than 10 ga. ...piercing will cause rapid nozzle orifice damage. 2. Power...you need 40 or more amps with these consumables to get a decent cut on materials thicker than 10 ga......when these consumables are used at Amperage levels of 40 Amps and above.....life of the consumables goes down.

I would suggest for best cut quality on 3/16 through 3/8" materials that you should use the standard 40 Amp shielded consumables for the Powermax1000....they have no issues piercing these thicknesses, speeds are faster, and the consumable life will be better.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by boodog710 »

I have a Hypertherm 1250 and the thickest I have cut with 40 amp fine is 1/8" (10 gauge) mild steel. You can give it a try but I don't think it will work. Pretty sure it won't. Why do you want to use the fine cut on 1/4" material. I cut parts for a local manufacturer out of 1/4 material and I find that 60 amp gives me the best cut.

Jack
peepers
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by peepers »

Thanks for the info. I sorta figured I would be out of luck.
I cut alot of arty stuff on 16 and 11 ga. I need to cut some
very detailed pieces on 1/4" and am afraid I will loose
detail due to wider kerf. Any idea what the differecne is
in kerf width between finecut and the standard 40 amp tip?
Thanks
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by boodog710 »

I believe the kerf on the 40 amp fine cut is .065 and the shielded 40 amp is .075. I use a program for writing code and nesting that compensates for the kerf. These numbers are the ones it uses to determine the amount of compensation. I enter which size I am cutting with, 40 fine, 40, 60 or 80 when I am setting up the part for cutting.

Jack

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”