loud popping and flames from under plate

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

loud popping and flames from under plate

Post by retiredcpo »

I am using a hypertherm 260hd with a 5ft by 12ft water table
Often we get a loud popping noise and what apears to be flames coiming out from under the plate.
It gets worse the thicker the plate.
Any idea what could cause this.
I am preaty new to this so im still learning alot mostly have been doing large standard shapes for production jobs
but the stuff here has got me wanting to try some artsy stuff
thanks
Retiredpo
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: loud popping and flames from under plate

Post by jimcolt »

The popping is normal with the oxygen plasma cutting process. It is a result of a small amount of hydrogen production (water in the water table is broken down through a process known as disassociation....separating the oxygen and hydrogen from the water) that pops like small firecrackers when cutting over a water table.

This is not the same as the Hydrogen production when cutting with aluminum over a water table.

Use that HPR260xd (follow book specs) on thin gauge using the 30 and 50 amp oxygen processes....you will see cut quality that is similar to laser cutting. Very nice machine for intricate work.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

retiredcpo wrote:I am using a hypertherm 260hd with a 5ft by 12ft water table
Often we get a loud popping noise and what apears to be flames coiming out from under the plate.
It gets worse the thicker the plate.
Any idea what could cause this.
I am preaty new to this so im still learning alot mostly have been doing large standard shapes for production jobs
but the stuff here has got me wanting to try some artsy stuff
thanks
Retiredpo
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: loud popping and flames from under plate

Post by retiredcpo »

Jim
thanks for the info
sometimes on thicker parts(1in or so) the popping is very load and the flames that come out from under the plate are several inches long. The sales guy who sold us the machine also sold us some kind of a additive that was supposed to stop rust. The mangement and the sales guys figured the popping and flames where due to the additive and had us drain and flush the table. Now we run straight water.
Funny you should bring up

Use that HPR260xd (follow book specs) on thin gauge using the 30 and 50 amp oxygen processes....you will see cut quality that is similar to laser cutting. Very nice machine for intricate work

We are wanting to cut some parts we make by hand but dont think we will get the detail we need this is mostly on 14 guage sheet. The reason we are not sure we can get the quality we need is based on what we have seen in the few projects we have tried Im looking forward to trying things out.

Retiredcpo

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”