Power Max 1650 cutting on an angle

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
fredfox
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Power Max 1650 cutting on an angle

Post by fredfox »

100 amp consumables following the charts recomended by Hypertherm, I am getting my cuts on an angle, one direction is nice and straight and the other direction it gives me a 1/8 to 3/16 taper? Is this normal? Cutting 1" plate edge start.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Power Max 1650 cutting on an angle

Post by jimcolt »

Assuming you have put a square between your torch and the plate to determine it's squareness (not a level.....a square).....and the cuts are as you describe....it indiucates that the nozzle orifice or the shield orifice on the torch are damaged.

The nozzle shapes the arc into a perfectly round column of high temperature, high velocity gas.....if the nozzle orifice is not perfectly round...or has nicks or gouges...then the arc will take on the shape and the cut edge angularity will vary. A damaged nozzle is usually caused by 1. piercing too close to the plate, 2. just plain worn out, 3. incorrect air pressure setting.

Look also at the shield (and make sure you are using the machine torch shield, not the drag (hand cutting) shield. for out of roundness and replace as necessary.

If you email me directly I will send you the Powermax machine side reference guide that will helpo you troubleshoot the cut quality problems.

Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

fredfox wrote:100 amp consumables following the charts recomended by Hypertherm, I am getting my cuts on an angle, one direction is nice and straight and the other direction it gives me a 1/8 to 3/16 taper? Is this normal? Cutting 1" plate edge start.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”