Rough Edges?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
webresteelworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Rough Edges?

Post by webresteelworks »

Howdy all,
I am fairly new to this forum and have learned a lot so far! I plan to put my two cents in, in the near future when i get some more experience! I have recently purchase an Archlight Dynamics ArcPro 9600 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65. I'm currently using a shielded 65. I have an Inkscape, Sheetcam, Mach3 setup. My current settings are 14ga HRS, .062kerf, .06 cut height, .15 pierce height, .1 sec pierce delay, voltage at 124, and the speed is set at 230ipm with DTHC. I'm not sure what kind of cut quality to expect, because I'm fairly new at this. When I cut, say a 5x5 square, the cuts are smooth. But any other designs I use leave a rough edge as shown below. Is this normal? Also, I'm getting a dross that appears to be low speed dross (large and bubbly). I have a refrigerant dryer and a good ground. My only other concern in the lead in seems to still be off because it takes a small chunk out on entry to the part.
Thanks for any help!
Scott Webre
Webre Steel Works
Attachments
photo.JPG
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Rough Edges?

Post by WSS »

Scott, welcome! Your speed is kinda high. Try a smaller nozzle on the 14ga, maybe even finecut parts. Try to get your speed to under 200ipm. It gets even better at 150ipm. Scott @ arclight makes good stuff and supports it well too. Have you watched his training videos? They discuss some of your issues. His videos are very informative.

From the picture it looks like 1) thc bouncing, lower the thc rate percent to half of what you have now. Or 2) your accel and velocity needs some tuning and 3) you may not have CV checked in the right place. I know it is supposed to be on in one spot and off in the other. Can't remember which is which.

Try dropping your nozzle size and speed first

Enjoy your new machine, lots of hurdles but you will come out on top.

Happy new Year!

WSS
webresteelworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Thanks! and yes, soon after posting I talked to Scott on the phone and he helped me set my CV and that helped it incredibly. And I plan to get the fine cut set up tomorrow and see how that does. This site looks great so far! Gonna keep on exploring!
GPWELDING
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GPWELDING »

Im having the same issue with my powermax 65 and im running finecut tips. When i turn my THC off its fine but when its on the cut looks like yours..
GPWELDING
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GPWELDING »

Help Please...
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

GPWELDING wrote:Help Please...
I posted a reply on the other thread where you posted this question. From the description you gave it sounds like you need to adjust the reaction time to the height control. Not sure where to find this setting on the Tracker but somebody on here will be able to help.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

Check for clean dry air... I have seen this if you have moisture ploblems.
webresteelworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Mine was a cv problem in Mach. I increased this value and it solved my problem.
GPWELDING
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GPWELDING »

Ya im not running any dryer at all... Im guessing that is my problem but it still weird that when I shut my THC off it runs like butter. Anyway I just put another post to see if anyone else is not running a dryer and having any success or if my only option is to buy one .. Thanks for the help
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

If it happens w/o thc then it is not likely to be a moisture problem. The Trackers I have watched work are usually pretty fast with things like plate search, retract and so on (this is good right?). You may need to slow or tweak some settings there. I know you can get really good support from tracker. Might be worth a call to them to point you in the right area.

WSS

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”