Hypertherm Powemax 800 Cutting Capacity

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
prattswelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm Powemax 800 Cutting Capacity

Post by prattswelding »

I could use some input.

I was looking at buying a Hypertherm Powemax 800 from a guy. I was wondering if anyone has had any table experience with one of these, and could tell me what thickness it will actually cut comfortably. It seems to me that cutters usually cut about half of what they're rated for. Right now I'm running a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 (60 amp) and it crawls and struggles on 3/8" or 1/2" plate and leaves a pretty sloppy cut, 5/8" forget about it. It's rated to be a 1 1/8" max cut, but it could never pull that off. I just wondered if this Hypertherm unit would be any better than what I've already got. The guy wants $800.00 for it and even though it's a discontinued model, the price sounds reasonable enough.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm Powemax 800 Cutting Capacity

Post by mdwalker »

I have a Powermax 800 & a Powermax 1000. When I first purchased my PlasmaCam table I ran the 800 on it for a while. If it is in good shape and working properly it should do well up to 1/4". When you get in to 3/8" & 1/2" you will start having problems. The machine itself is perfectly capable of cutting it but you cannot pierce as thick of metal with a cnc as you can with a hand torch. The reason is you can angle a hand torch, start your cut, then roll it in to the material where on a machine it pierces from straight up and down. The slag is what causes the problems. I did cut some 3/8" & 1/2" with my 800 but it wasn't really worth the headaches. If you can start your cuts from the edge of the material you can sometimes get by. I did upgrade my torch on the 800 to the T60 (I think that's right but I don't have it in front of me) & it made a big difference in cut quality. It is the same torch that the 1000 uses. I cut alot of 1/2" & 5/8" material with my 1000 & it does fairly well if I am careful. I just purchased a Samson 5x10 table & got it set up last week. I plan on buying a Powermax 85 for it but for now I am running my 1000 on it. I still use my 800 for cutting up the scrap metal and small hand cutting jobs.

Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax800 is probably a 20 to 25 year old unit. The technology back then was not even close to what it is today.....however if it is used as designed with Hypertherm consumables it is a good solid 3/8" machine.....better than many new plasma systems.

Jim Colt
prattswelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by prattswelding »

Thank you very much gentlemen, that answers my question. Sounds like I'm just as well with what I've already got.

Brian

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”