Water Table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Water Table

Post by tirediron »

I have a quick question concerning a water table. Do you use some sort of rubber sealant to coat the bottom of the water tray? Or would you just use the plasma quench?

Thanks to all on this board as you have all provided me with a wealth of information. :)

Gerry
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Water Table

Post by FiveORacing »

Mine is just a welded steel pan. No finish or lining. The water gets so ugly after a few months I'm not sure I'd want any kind of a liner or sealant. I just mixed up a batch of homegrown quench from the recipes posted by others and filled it up. I change the water about every 6 months (twice so far).
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

FiveORacing wrote:Mine is just a welded steel pan. No finish or lining. The water gets so ugly after a few months I'm not sure I'd want any kind of a liner or sealant. I just mixed up a batch of homegrown quench from the recipes posted by others and filled it up. I change the water about every 6 months (twice so far).

Thank you for input! I just changed mine for the first time and I'm amazed at how much "metal" :shock: was in the water. I'm just glad I had the water table so all of that "stuff" :o wasn't all over my shop!

I think I'll just refill my table with the new batch of plasma quench and continue cutting.
dikko
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dikko »

i am gunna convert my torchmate to a water table can somebody guide me through this how deep the water do you fill up to the top of slats or to the bottom of them can i use a ribber liner my table is 5m by 2.4 mts 350 deep should i put a shelf in say 10 inches down so not so much water in the tub my slats are 5mm 75mm deep do i need different nozzles when using water any ideas will be greatly appreciated thx p.s. love this forum heaps good ideas for dumbos like me xx dikko
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Because of the way my slats are held (Torchmate II) I had a pan made by the local AC shop and it turned out 4 inches deep (the slats are 3-1/2"). I keep the water to within about 1/2" from the underside of the metal and 1) it traps enough smoke that I can tell it, and 2) the smaller 1/16th metal doesn't warp as bad as it used to with no water. As an added benefit, it seems that the dross is easier to clean off as well. I use the same nozzles, and the IPM seems so have increased a little, or it might just be my imagination. Bob.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
mattinspokane
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mattinspokane »

you want your water to be able to come ABOVE your work surface, or at minimum, touching the bottom of work. I am working in a shop that has a dual-head, waterjet/plasma setup and it runs best when the water is even with the surface of my material. It will even plasma cut with a 1/2 inch (or more) of water over the surface or your material. You get no smoke and it is a lot quieter like this.
This machine is a lot of fun because you can program it to cut bolt holes and such with the waterjet and then cut the perimeter shape with the plasma. the bolt holes are clean and ready to tap if required. I use it for material up to 1 inch thick.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”