microcontrollers

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Jules
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

microcontrollers

Post by Jules »

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here, and new to microcontrollers.

For a project I'm working on, I'm using this stepper motor driver:https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-831-In ... 28VDC.html

Someone mentioned that VCC can also act as a common cathode, since opto devices are bidirectional, and I'm more likely to use it that way at the end of the day to avoid all the hassle. However, for my own education and future reference, I'd like to know how to connect and operate this driver using the method originally described; with a common anode.

Of course, I'd have to invert all the logic in software, but a typical GPIO low output is still not ground. Can I send 3V3 to the driver pin as an "off" signal and use an external pulldown (or use an internal pulldown GPIO) to parse the "on" signal?

Just in case I'm completely wrong, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: microcontrollers

Post by adbuch »

Jules wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:43 pm

Someone mentioned that VCC can also act as a common cathode, since opto devices are bidirectional, and I'm more likely to use it that way at the end of the day to avoid all the hassle. However, for my own education and future reference, I'd like to know how to connect and operate this driver using the method originally described; with a common anode.

I would use it as shown in the diagram supplied. There is no terminal labeled "Vcc", but I assume you are referring to the supply voltage indicated to have an acceptable range of 12-38Vdc. I see no mention of opto-isolated inputs/outputs in the user's manual or spec sheet.

Perhaps show us a sketch of your proposed wiring diagram you describe -
Someone mentioned that VCC can also act as a common cathode, since opto devices are bidirectional, and I'm more likely to use it that way at the end of the day to avoid all the hassle. However, for my own education and future reference, I'd like to know how to connect and operate this driver using the method originally described; with a common anode
stepper motor drive 1.jpg
David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”