another beveled edge cut case

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
bLouChipBlacksmith
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: another beveled edge cut case

Post by bLouChipBlacksmith »

Ok, the votes are in, and the results are... B.O.A.T.(s)
I get it. More is better. Step far away from liv'n on the margin. Well that continues the theme of getting the 'beast' into service.
But... I have to consider the Bidenomics of this decision so I'm going with plan B. I'm optimistic I can do a pretty decent rebuild on the old unit, and to save a few hundred I will salvage the condenser, 1 qt. desiccant dryer, and filters from Kobalt 'little boy', strip 'er down to factory config. I may also just unplug it, keep it around for my off-site portable 110v unit, and use the tank for expanded storage in the shop. Winner winner chicken dinner. :)
I appreciate everyone's input and advice, well done. I'll report back when I'm make'n sparks again. Thanks.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I can completely appreciate the cost aspect of this which is why I went with option B. Things are tight these days for many of us so often it's best to work with what you got. Hoe your back up and cutting shortly. Good luck.
bLouChipBlacksmith
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by bLouChipBlacksmith »

I'm just checking in to say I'm still here :) I received my parts for the plan B 11.5scfm rebuild. I was distracted with a few paying jobs recently too, so I rolled back my table setup to the PW Cut60 unit to handle that work.

btw- I'm not sure I mentioned it yet, but shortly after I put the PMX65 into brief service last month, albeit making mostly test cuts blah blah blah, and being so impressed with the power and necessary speed of the PMX65, I revisited the PW Cut60 cut charts and noticed I was actually cutting at 70% or so the speed given in their charts. Last summer I recalibrated my cut speeds to the new UPM105 Tecmo torch I had gotten (uses PMX45 consumables), so differences from prior PTM60 torch were expected. What I didn't realize was, at about the same time, I experienced a partial failure in the Cut60's output capacity, presumable due to cutting last summer while on generator and having the breaker pop a couple of times until I got the cutting current dialed down for the 9KW generator to tolerate it. Anyway, after writing PW to inquire about help with diagnosis, it wasn't 5 minutes after sending the memo that PW replied that they will have a new Cut60 shipped out to me that day, to send the old one back. That is of course outstanding customer service, could be the best in the universe. Well anyway, after putting the new Cut60 back into service that past few weeks, sure enough I'm cutting 25% faster with it (but still 1/2 the speed of PMX65), while the Kobalt "little boy" air supply is keeping up just fine, and the cut edges are square. Life has been good for a few weeks. And for even sweeter fun, I took delivery of a well used 350 lb. anvil I purchased at auction last winter (crazy price of $2/lb !), it had been waiting for a ride to NC from IL for 6 months. That beast, I call it Fat Man, rings like bell, its a good one. It as more bounce and rebound than a rubber ball.

So its about time to get the old 11.5scfm air unit rebuilt, soon to be called "The Phoenix", I hope.
I'm not planning any anvil shots over the 4th of July, but I have to do something with the now out of service 85 pounder, and I have a great base anvil to shoot from. The weekend is just beginning ;)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for the reply, may be help to other in the future, these things build the knowledge base of PS. Much better to having fun at work then constant problems, paying jobs adds to that too. :Like Having a big anvil you can work out any frustrations you come across. :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”