Design Edge Etching and Cutting

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Design Edge Etching and Cutting

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Hi all, here is a question for all the gurus. Somewhere I saw a You tube video on my question, but can't find it now. Say I have a big oak leaf I want to cut out. In the center of this oak leaf are the "veins" I guess they would be called. I would like to etch or mark these "veins" with the correct marking consumables, then be able to bring the torch away from the etching or marking and change the consumable out for the correct fine cut consumable to cut the leaf out. The question is how would I mark the leaf, then go back and cut it out? I guess I could try and use two separate programs, but as I said I can't find this video showing it all being done in one operation. Maybe someone has done something like this before and can get me going in the right direction. The machine I am using is the Hyper Therm XP45. Thanks for your help.
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Advanced Design Edge, Machine Control, Height Control
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Hypertherm XP 45 Plasma Cutter & Machine Torch
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Design Edge Etching and Cutting

Post by weldguy »

I am not a Plasmacam guy but I know that you cannot edit gcode and customize things so 2 different files as you mentioned would be the best way. Just be sure the plasma profile and etch profiles are placed correctly relative to your XY 0 start location so the veins are in the proper position in the leaf. I would be interested in seeing this when you have it completed!
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes I will post what I come up with.
Thanks,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

When Joe Jones designs and completes the laser attachment for a PlasmaCam machine we'll be able to etch with it and cut plastic, wood, etc. Still waiting.....
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:12 am Hi all, here is a question for all the gurus. Somewhere I saw a You tube video on my question, but can't find it now. Say I have a big oak leaf I want to cut out. In the center of this oak leaf are the "veins" I guess they would be called. I would like to etch or mark these "veins" with the correct marking consumables, then be able to bring the torch away from the etching or marking and change the consumable out for the correct fine cut consumable to cut the leaf out. The question is how would I mark the leaf, then go back and cut it out? I guess I could try and use two separate programs, but as I said I can't find this video showing it all being done in one operation. Maybe someone has done something like this before and can get me going in the right direction. The machine I am using is the Hyper Therm XP45. Thanks for your help.
Tim
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Thanks David. I will look into all of this.
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:24 pm Thanks David. I will look into all of this.
:Like :Like :Like

Let me know if you need me to provide more specific details about the process.

David
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Yes I will David, really what I am trying to do is mark with a black sharpie, then switch it out say for a red one, and then maybe a green one. I was just looking for a way to do this with one drawing and be able to switch out markers and go back each time to the same location. It would be nice if i could work with layers similar to AutoCAD. Were I could just a layer on and off as I needed it. After I mark one layer, just turn it off and mark the next layer, etc.. The marker holder is great.
Thanks,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:37 pm Yes I will David, really what I am trying to do is mark with a black sharpie, then switch it out say for a red one, and then maybe a green one. I was just looking for a way to do this with one drawing and be able to switch out markers and go back each time to the same location. It would be nice if i could work with layers similar to AutoCAD. Were I could just a layer on and off as I needed it. After I mark one layer, just turn it off and mark the next layer, etc.. The marker holder is great.
Thanks,
Tim
Tim - you can do this by grouping your cut paths (drawing paths) for each "layer". Then select the group for the color you want, draw it, select the next group (change color and draw it), etc. Happy to hear that the sharpie pen holder you purchased from me is working out for you. Be sure to show us some of your finished drawings.

David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Yep it’s about selecting the appropriate cut paths and grouping can definitely help. The great thing about PlasmaCAM is that it’s an all in one software. If you want to run a specific set of paths, it will just run the ones you have selected so you can run a set, delete (or just unselect them), select the next set, run them, etc etc.
Robert Johnson
PlasmaCAM GURU & Instructor
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Thanks so much for all the info, I will look into all this when I get some free time. Being retired, before all I had time to do was work for the other guy, now being retired, all the time I have is to do something for someone else (just joking) Yes grouping sounds great, I never thought about that. Gonna try this out directly.
Thanks again all my GURU friends,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Well everybody I got a circle with a star in the center and a letter centered the the star. Each item is grouped separately. I now see how to select each item for marking. I just never needed to did this before. I guess I will just need to move the machine to "move to home" after each operation. I will try this after I find a way to locate a sheet on the table so after each operation, each operation will go back to the same point. When I get it all figured out, I will post on it and try and upload a You Tube video.
Thanks again for the info ya'll,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:04 am Well everybody I got a circle with a star in the center and a letter centered the the star. Each item is grouped separately. I now see how to select each item for marking. I just never needed to did this before. I guess I will just need to move the machine to "move to home" after each operation. I will try this after I find a way to locate a sheet on the table so after each operation, each operation will go back to the same point. When I get it all figured out, I will post on it and try and upload a You Tube video.
Thanks again for the info ya'll,
Tim
I am not sure what you are making. Are you going to do this design with an engraver, or a plasma cutter?

Can you post the file here, so I can see it? Maybe a photo of something similar to the results you want?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

If you read the first post, I believe he's going to use the plasma to mark, and then cut the part out.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Ah. I have never tried to do any etching with my 45XP. I know it can do it, but I have never done it myself.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

I'm sorry I was so unclear with the first post about the leaf. It was a bad example on my part. I was using the marking as an example on how I would mark the inside of the leaf, then be able to come back and cut the leaf out from the the original marking location. The same question applies for a sharpie pen for drawing on a part. David and Robert mentioned I could design a part, then group each "LAYER" of the part as needed to draw, and then use the sharpie on the next layer. This would be drawing the first grouping with a color, then change the sharpie color and repeat the process until done. I was looking at a way to make a cheap drawing with say three different colored sharpies. Anymore questions on this from ya'll, I will try and answer the best I can.
Thanks,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

:-? You want to use different colored Sharpie pens to DRAW the leaf onto metal, and then use a plasma torch to CUT the leaf out? I am not understanding your goal here. Sorry.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:10 am I'm sorry I was so unclear with the first post about the leaf. It was a bad example on my part. I was using the marking as an example on how I would mark the inside of the leaf, then be able to come back and cut the leaf out from the the original marking location. The same question applies for a sharpie pen for drawing on a part. David and Robert mentioned I could design a part, then group each "LAYER" of the part as needed to draw, and then use the sharpie on the next layer. This would be drawing the first grouping with a color, then change the sharpie color and repeat the process until done. I was looking at a way to make a cheap drawing with say three different colored sharpies. Anymore questions on this from ya'll, I will try and answer the best I can.
Thanks,
Tim
Tim - draw the interior features with your shapie, then draw the outer perimeter. You can switch colors between drawing each layer. You don't need to move the torch holder to the home position between colors. The same applies to engraving/cutting. Engrave your interior group (or groups) first, then switch from engraver to torch and cut the outer perimeter. Be sure to show us some of your completed drawings.

David
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Thanks David, I'm fixen to get ready to go out and try this a little later. I will post my results.
Thanks again,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Here you go all, my first attempt with David's sharpie holder. Next I am gonna try this with multiple layers and different colored sharpie markers. Thanks so much all my guru friends for all your help.
Thanks,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nice work. You could probably increase your speed some. Try doubling it to see how it goes. I initially started out with a pretty slow speed - maybe 50 imp. I think I ended up going with 200 ipm, very close to the same speed I would use for cutting 14 ga. steel.

David
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

yes sir, I was just starting out slow. Tomorrow I will get a set of colored markers and go from there.
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Do you have a pierce delay set up? It looks like it pauses before it starts drawing. If your marker is touching the paper and has a delay, you'll get a dot in your line.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Thanks I will check on it
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:31 am Thanks I will check on it
Tim
This will depend on your settings for pierce height and cut height. As long as the difference between the two is greater than the amount you retract the sharpie into the holder, then there will be no "dot". Otherwise, it would be a good idea to set your pierce delay time to zero.

David

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”