Height Adjustable Grates!

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Height Adjustable Grates!

Post by Joe Jones »

Things sometimes blow up in your face. I lost my helper, and my main PC (13 years old now) finally gave up the ghost, so I went to Best Buy today to pick up a new DELL Inspirion 3030 with the i7 processor and more. Now I have to REMEMBER what software was on the other PC that will no longer boot up, and try to recover a couple of TERABYTES of .pcm and .dxf files, as well as many other things. :-x

Then I need to move that DesignEdge seat to the new PC tower. That requires a call to PlasmaCam, and a bit more.

I am NOT giving up on this project, but life keeps tossing grenades into my plans.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The new PC is up and running! I like it so much, I bought three more of them! :lol: :shock:

Joe
DELL INS 3030 AND MONITOR.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Cute little computer. Do they have an LTP port or you just use it for design? Not a fan of Dell systems but glad you have it working.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I installed the AXXON LF1119KB parallel card and driver.

This machine would not normally run a table, but I like options!

In fact, I like it so much, I bought three more of them. I also equipped all of them with the LF1119KB parallel cards and 15' parallel cables from Amazon, just for possible future use with PlasmaCam tables. :mrgreen:

I think I will use them to replace the older Dell Optiplex PCs, and probably donate those to a local school or something, after DesignEdge is deleted from them.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Nice Joe, hope those Dells work out for operating the table through those new cards also.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Time will tell. I ordered new monitors for the towers, and (10) new 13-Function USB hubs for the laptops and towers. Now I have to set up a 'YUGE banquet table in the living room, set all of this $%& up and make sure everything is right. I will be doing some DesignEdge training in Texas for a full week, in July, and I want everything to WORK!

I have not decided whether I will take my 4x4 table with me to demo. They do not use a plasmaCam table, but they are interested in the software. Unbelievably, they are currently using PlasmaCAM version 1.20 :Wow I cannot believe the products they make, using that old, outdated software.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Do you think you’ll take the grate elevator system down to see if they want some of those as well?
Robert Johnson
PlasmaCAM GURU & Instructor
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:05 pm Do you think you’ll take the grate elevator system down to see if they want some of those as well?
When I finally get the first one built and functional, I will duplicate the project on other tables. I am also interested in making this project for the 510 tables. I am not sure if I would raise and lower the entire grate, or only one half of it.

I am juggling many different projects, and they all demand my immediate attention.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:39 am
rdj357 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:05 pm Do you think you’ll take the grate elevator system down to see if they want some of those as well?
When I finally get the first one built and functional, I will duplicate the project on other tables. I am also interested in making this project for the 510 tables. I am not sure if I would raise and lower the entire grate, or only one half of it.

I am juggling many different projects, and they all demand my immediate attention.

Joe
Gotcha. I was just trying to come around full circle on the thread topic here to see how that was going. I thought the side trips might be somehow related to the grate elevator system. Safe travels and good luck with your many demanding projects.
Robert Johnson
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I just need that helper!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:38 am I just need that helper!

Joe
Dang! I thought you'd found one that retired or something close by and was going to be the new right hand guy. Then there was mention of a couple that you helped get on their feet, stable housing, and went on your adventures picking up some more tables with you. I guess I misunderstood and thought one or both of them were considering working with/for you on these projects as well. We've beat the how to attract and retain good help in the past so nothing more on that but I thought this project would really be moving forward now after a couple months of relatively slow development and quite a few pages of discussion here about it and a plethora of other things.
Robert Johnson
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:20 pm
Dang! I thought you'd found one that retired or something close by and was going to be the new right hand guy. Then there was mention of a couple that you helped get on their feet, stable housing, and went on your adventures picking up some more tables with you. I guess I misunderstood and thought one or both of them were considering working with/for you on these projects as well.
That is still an option, and they have worked for me on several occasions already. I cannot afford to be their ONLY source of income.
We've beat the how to attract and retain good help in the past so nothing more on that
Thank you, Elon Musk.
but I thought this project would really be moving forward now after a couple months of relatively slow development and quite a few pages of discussion here about it and a plethora of other things.
Walk a mile in my shoes, Robert. Then we'll talk.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am back, and ready to begin tackling the grate elevator project! ALMOST all obstacles are out of my way now. I returned with the table from Houston, and now I must convert the first table for proof of concept.

I will then decide whether to convert and sell all of them, or simply sell them AS-IS, and let people do the conversion themselves.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome back Joe! Look forward to seeing this projects final stages. Good luck :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The trip was pretty good. The training went really well. I slashed the tire on the trip and had to limp home on the spare. When it came to replacing the tire at Discount Tire, I looked at the wear on the tires and decided to just replace all four of them. It’s an expense I did not count on of course, but that’s what credit cards are for!

Then I went to Valvoline and did the oil change, cabin filters, change, replacement of the gear oil in the front and rear differentials, etc. So yesterday was an expensive day. However, I did not want to do a partial replacement of tires and then start chasing around which ones should be on the front and the rear, etc.. I’ll probably find somebody who can use these other three good tires and just give them to them. It’s not worth trying to sell them even though they probably have 20,000 miles left on the tread.

I have to flip one of the tables over and set it up on my Gooseneck Trailer so I can do some measurements, etc. Then I will design the four brackets that will hold the electric motors and transmissions and bolts to the stock Plasmacam table bolts. I can send that file to SendCutSend, to have them cut out for me.

I am really anxious to get one table functional just for proof of concept. Then I can’t decide if I’m going to convert all of these tables and sell them, Or do something else with them such as selling them to be used as a 4 x 4 to 4 x 8 conversion, etc. Once I figure out how to make the grate elevator work properly, I will probably just publish a list of parts that you can order from Amazon and do the project yourself. I’m not interested in making any money off of it. Really, it is more of a challenge to me to see if I can add this capability to a standard plasmacam table. The modification will give your table about 30 inches of gantry to grate clearance and it will also eliminate the need for the Plasmacam pipe cutting accessory as well.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I have decided to incorporate 8020 extrusions and slides to give the grate elevator the vertical stability it needs to work properly.

Joe
GRATE ELEVATOR CONCEPT 07-23-24.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Ah, crud! I just found a great alternative to my evil plan, which is a much better option. I am going to order a set of four synchronized TRACK linear actuators and a controller from a company that specializes in this stuff, and use them FIRST, to create the grate elevator on one table. I think it will be better that my previous plan, and far less complicated, although the total cost is about the same, or even a bit less, all told.

Stay tuned. I AM working on this! I have to get these seven(?) :roll: 4x4 tables out of my way soon. I am going to sell them all with the proper licenses and transfer of ownership papers from PlasmaMECCA :lol: , so there will be no problems. For those who want this conversion but do not want or need TWO tables, I may have a solution.

I also have several plasma machines to sell, that I have collected over the past few months. I have to get them together and listed.

So much to do. So little time!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

Have been following this topic and am interested in the progress. Looking forward to seeing your latest revision of this. Sounds like a good plan to me :Like
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

kicktillmonday wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:05 am Have been following this topic and am interested in the progress. Looking forward to seeing your latest revision of this. Sounds like a good plan to me :Like
I am going to purchase four synchronized linear TRACK actuators and a controller, and install them onto the legs of the table. This eliminates a LOT of engineering, aligning gears and gear racks with vertical guides, etc.

I just have to decide whether 30 inches of vertical movement is enough, or go with 40 inches :shock:

This company just came out with this product, so it was not available when I began working on a way to create this enhancement. In the words of Hannibal of the A-Team, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Joe
TRACK ACTUATOR ON 4X4.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

It is looking like the conversion will cost right around $1,500.00. Now, that may SEEM steep, but remember that it eliminates the need for the $1,995.00 DesignEdge pipe cutting software upgrade and pipe cutting apparatus that you otherwise MUST BUY from PlasmaCam, but can NEVER SELL separate from the table. How many of us have THAT accessory still lying in the original box? :roll: A show of hands?

Also, this conversion (current design) gives you fully 32" of grate to gantry clearance! So you CAN place things like oil drums onto rollers and cut designs into the sides.

It allows you to cut key slots into LARGE square or rectangular tubing and designs into round pipe of literally ANY length, and many other options come with the additional gantry clearance.

It also gives you huge clearance for routing operations, such as when you want to inlay Mother of Pearl into the top of an old wooden table or toy chest, etc.

So I promise, this conversion will be completely awesome!

I wanted to offer the 40" version, but the existing frame design of the PlasmaCam tables limits me to 30 INCHES of vertical movement of the grates. 40 inches IS POSSIBLE, but you would need to extend the legs by 10 inches to give the actuators the clearance they need, and that would also raise the rails which might be TOO HIGH for comfortable use. However ... :roll: four MORE actuators could be attached to the legs to RAISE the entire table off of the ground for taller projects, I suppose! Do you need to CNC cut a hole through the top of your refrigerator? I guess that IS possible!

The four linear TRACK actuators are fully synchronized with "Hall Effect" sensing, so the grate will move up and down absolutely level at any height setting, and despite one side of the grate having weight on it while the other side does not. There are programmable preset heights too.

I currently have a design which changes the exterior footprint of the table slightly, but I am working on maintaining the original profile, while adding the actuators externally, even though they will operate INTERNALLY on the grates and frame. Figure that one out! :-?

Now that I have walked out to the shop to take the measurements, I will order the parts and get them here to build the first working prototype. SADLY, the production of custom designed actuators is 12 to 13 WEEKS out, so they probably will not arrive before Halloween. :Sad However, once I get ONE built, I can order in quantity to get the cost down for the remaining tables.

BONUS! This will ALSO work on the 510 tables, and I have one to build for proof of concept, later on. :mrgreen: That will probably be done in the first part of January or so. It all depends on the weather, and my tired old body, and available HELP ...

I am abandoning the four-motor and gearbox design for now. It would work, but it became too complicated, requiring 8020 aluminum extrusions and glide guides to keep the entire thing in alignment. That would WORK, but the COST of all of those extra parts, and trying to accurately mount them to the PlasmaCam triangular-shaped 11 gauge legs forces me to shelve the idea, for now.

I have NOT given up on this!

Oh, and this conversion will ALSO work on the new GENESIS tables as well. :wink:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Who knows ... I may install the grate elevator onto this table, to give me BOTH options, raising the rails, and lowering the grates :mrgreen:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yep! I figured out how to mount the actuators externally while still controlling the internal vertical action of the grate platform. This means the table footprint will be essentially unchanged, except for the actuator motors that will be located near the top of the legs above the stock deck height. This is shaping up nicely!

I submitted an order for the parts. Now to wait for a response with an ETA of delivery.

This is not a kit I will sell. I will just put it together, prove that it works, and release the plans with the part numbers etc. You will be able to buy your own parts and do the project yourselves. I MAY sell custom designed brackets etc., that may be required. However, that will be minimal, of course.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”