Rounded corners

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
rife
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Rounded corners

Post by rife »

After a computer crash I downloaded Sheetcam to a new computer. Now when I draw a part, it looks good, when I load it in Sheetcam and process it, it looks good. Then I load it in Mach3, it looks good...When I attempt to cut it, most of the sharp corners are radiused, some cut correctly. Is this because something is set wrong ?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Rounded corners

Post by tcaudle »

Its not SheetCAM. If it looks good in the toolpath an in Mach 3 toolpath then its in the MOTION settings. See, MACH3 uses max velocity cutting for plasma meaning it tracks the path as close as the machine will let it using the highest possible speeds. If it can't make the turn it modifys its tracking so it will "swing out" (round the corners) or even cut across at an angle. The more velocity and acceleration your table can produce the tigher the cuts can be. The downside is you can get really jerky motion on a detailed cut . Some mechanics simply cannot handle the speeds and accelerations need for cutting thinner material (that needs even higher speeds ) . Some of the old tables were notorious for not being able to hold detail on thinner material or to use the normal THC settings .

Software with better tracking and tool path tolerance will do what you would do in a race car on a winding course and slow down to take the tight turns , not slide out of the road. In order to do that you have to also have a way to sense that slowdown and turns off the THC so it doe snot dive into the slower moving part of the cut.

The ONLY setting in SheetCAM is an import resolution setting that determines how close modes have to be to consider them connected . I doubt that is the issue but it could have changed on a new load.

The bottom line is if the machine is not cutting what you are seeing on the tool path display exactly its not the software .

Return to “SheetCam”