Path rules issue

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Path rules issue

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Hi all.
So I am hoping to attach a screenshot of the issue I started having in sheetcam hoping someone can tell me that it is my own ignorance that is causing this.
Why is the feed over ride (highlighted in pink) only applicable at the start and end when I clearly have path rules to over ride at all corners and arcs?
The radius of the corners is .25"
When I import a test square with no radius on the corners, the path rules apply and work fine. They used to work fine on radius corners as well, but no longer. Either I am messing up in the CAD program or I have accidentally changed something in sheetcam causing this.
sheetcam screen.jpg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Path rules issue

Post by weldguy »

Just curious, how small do you have to make the radius for the path rule to kick in.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Your 'on arcs' rule is set to 0.3". If your corners are 0.25" radius the rule won't trigger.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Les Newell wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 am Your 'on arcs' rule is set to 0.3". If your corners are 0.25" radius the rule won't trigger.
:oops: That fixed it. Thank you.
Does the arc rule over ride the all corners rule?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

The logic for overlapping rules is quite complicated but in essence each time a rule triggers it checks if any other rules are currently in effect. If so and the other rule uses the same code, it does not output the code again. For feed rates the lowest feed rate at that point is the one that is used.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Les Newell wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 am The logic for overlapping rules is quite complicated but in essence each time a rule triggers it checks if any other rules are currently in effect. If so and the other rule uses the same code, it does not output the code again. For feed rates the lowest feed rate at that point is the one that is used.
Thank you very much. To a small extent, I understand your description. You put it in terms I can mostly understand, and I thank you for that. So given the new info you have presented, it appears that perhaps I should divide my rules into more rule sets and remember to change them out each time the need changes for different cutting jobs, rather then just lump as many rules as I can into one rule set.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Les Newell wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 am Your 'on arcs' rule is set to 0.3". If your corners are 0.25" radius the rule won't trigger.
I know little to nothing about Sheetcam but I am interested to know why if set to .30" and the arc is .25" it would not trigger. What am I missing Les?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry that was a brain fart on my part. You're right. 0.3" should have worked. Could you send me a job file (File->save job as) with the paths set up so I can take a look.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Deezl Smoke wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am Thank you very much. To a small extent, I understand your description. You put it in terms I can mostly understand, and I thank you for that. So given the new info you have presented, it appears that perhaps I should divide my rules into more rule sets and remember to change them out each time the need changes for different cutting jobs, rather then just lump as many rules as I can into one rule set.
It is worth setting up different rule sets for different materials. For instance the rules for thick plate are going to be quite different to the rules for thin sheet. That's one reason why tools can have path rules assigned to them.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Les Newell wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:51 am Sorry that was a brain fart on my part. You're right. 0.3" should have worked. Could you send me a job file (File->save job as) with the paths set up so I can take a look.
Thanks Les, curious to hear the outcome.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

How do I post or send job files? Would the ngc file be better?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

I need the job file. Job files contain the drawing and your settings so I can see what settings you are using. The ngc file only contains the final tool paths so I can't see your settings. If the forum won't allow you to attach a job file you may have to email it to me les@sheetcam.com.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

.job is not a supported file type.

Email sent.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe admin can add this to the allowed file types for this area.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

I got your email. Rules are applied to the tool path, not the original drawing outline. As you are using an outside offset the resultant radius of the tool path is 0.25" plus half the kerf width (0.05") = 0.3". Due to the way computers store numbers there are often small rounding errors in the values. The variation is tiny and does not have a material effect on the cut but in this case the way the math works out the tool path radius comes out just over the limit.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:19 am I got your email. Rules are applied to the tool path, not the original drawing outline. As you are using an outside offset the resultant radius of the tool path is 0.25" plus half the kerf width (0.05") = 0.3". Due to the way computers store numbers there are often small rounding errors in the values. The variation is tiny and does not have a material effect on the cut but in this case the way the math works out the tool path radius comes out just over the limit.
Oh wow. Thank you so much for that Les. Makes perfect sense the way you said it. I was so close and didn't know it.
So when I apply true width, it can mask a lot of needed information in the screen presentation on the monitor. True width blends the cut path center line with the outside of kerf. Then to my less knowing eyes, it's just a thick line, not a center line that the rule is applied and an outside of kerf line as it is with true width turned off.
Thank you so much for the lesson.
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:29 pm Maybe admin can add this to the allowed file types for this area.
Good call. .job files are now an accepted upload file format :Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Great.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “SheetCam”