Software options for plasma tables.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Software options for plasma tables.

Post by Metriccar »

I have a plasmacam. The software is great.

However I’m looking for something a little sturdier and a water table option.

Are there any other tables out there with comparable software? Something that allows you to draw, create cut paths, nest, and run the machine on the same program? I tried mach3 and can’t stand it.
Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Software options for plasma tables.

Post by Railmen »

Flashcut.................. awesome. Nuff Said.
brucer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by brucer »

I helped a guy on an Arclight table and it worked pretty straight forward..

It uses commandcnc for control, qcad and inkscape for drawing and Sheetcam for posting code, decent table design.. It looked like it would be easy to work on..
The only thing I didnt like is the rails werent covered, and the y axis the rails laid flat..
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Flashcut is the best all-in-one I can think of. It's OEM'd under many different names, so you may see it called several things.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Flashcut
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
brucer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by brucer »

Railmen wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:14 am Flashcut.................. awesome. Nuff Said.
How much does the Flashcut cost.. I hate when companies dont post pricing on their products, that usually means it's too expensive for a peasant..
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

brucer wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Railmen wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:14 am Flashcut.................. awesome. Nuff Said.
How much does the Flashcut cost.. I hate when companies dont post pricing on their products, that usually means it's too expensive for a peasant..
It’s because they have OEM distributors and don’t want to compete with their own distributors.
Cheap stuff isn’t awesome
Awesome stuff isn’t cheap ;)
I say shoot them an email.it all depends on your current setup. If you have a control box that will work then you are a step ahead. If you have z lifter and motor you are another step ahead.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Flashcut control software has to mate up to their USB interface box.
Desertdog
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Desertdog »

Here are a couple of photos of my new controller and one of my old Candcnc. One looks like they put some time into the design, fit and finish, high quality connectors and cabling while the other looks like well, you get the idea.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Westcott Retro 5x10
Design2Cut software, CAD, CAM, CUT, all in one program.
Hypertherm 45XP
Champion 2 stage compressor, 7.5 HP motor, 15 HP pump (QUIET!),
80 gallon tank, auto tank drain, mag starter, after cooler.
25.8 CFM@175
Jmetal
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jmetal »

I've used commandcnc and flashcut. Flashcut is the way to go.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Plasma cutting on a cnc machine requires 3 different software packages, here is a brief description of each with its functions:

1. CAD Computer aided Design. This is what you use to draw the parts you need to cut. It produces a file that (in this segment of the CNC industry) is called a .dxf, essentially a computer generated drawing of the item to cut with digital dimensions. Not ready to cut.

2. CAM, Computer aided Manufacturing. This software imports the CAD drawing (most often a .dxf file) and modifies it with lead ins (to start the cut), lead outs (to end the cut), Kerf width adjustment and cut direction (to ensure parts are of best quality and are of the correct dimensions) as well as generating code that controls on and off timing of the plasma, the height control as well as dozens of other functions that control the direction, speed and location of the torch. More sophisticated CAM can also control the plasma settings such as Amperage, Arc Voltage (height control feedback), gas flow, etc. CAM can also do nesting of multiple parts to fill a whole sheet efficiently (in seconds....much faster than manual nesting). More sophisticated CAM can interface with a factories inventory system (saving remnants in inventory and much more), can control advanced plasma functions on more sophisticated plasma cutters) and can calculate your cutting cost per part. And much more. Cam software can be freeware, it can be $100, and the more sophisticated packages can cost $30,000 or more (think the shop floor software in a John Deere plant or a shipyard). The completed CAM file is generally known as "ready to cut".

3. Machine control software. This is the software that reads the computer code generated by the CAM and converts it into electrical signals that control everything on the machine. Think Mach 3 in lower cost machines. Linux control and Win CNC as a few. Some machine builder have their own machine control software...such as Plasmacam and Flashcut and many others.

The above 3 softwares are configured a bit differently depending on the machine design and equipment. I call the two main configurations conventional and integrated packages.

Conventional systems sell these three software packages installed on their cnc machines as separate software. You draw the part in CAD, export the file into CAM, the CAM may require some operator settings and commands, then you export the CAM file into the machine software. Works well, but generally a little more time consuming to use, and to get through the learning curve. Generally the operator needs to have better computer savvy than with integrated software systems....from my view anyway!

Integrated systems (like PlasmaCam and Flashcut) still have the 3 softwares, but seamlessly shift the CAD to CAM and the CAM to the machine control software. Some refer to these as "proprietary" software, meaning they only work well as a package. These softwares are generally accepted as easy to learn (short learning curve) and easy to use.

Jim Colt
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The above statement by Jim should be flagged so it is easy to find for new members or people new to the CNC field. There have be similar posts in the past, but these are framed "I like my software better then yours". Showing the function of the different packages could help to make a decision as to your selections.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ERS IND
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ERS IND »

Great post Jim, thank you for the clarification!
mccorb
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mccorb »

Thank you JimColt for your description of the CAD/CAM/Control software stack for running a plasma cutter. I am a retired software engineer, now more of a wannabe metal arts guy, that decided to build my own hobby CNC table but has never done machine control software before. The parts have been shipped for the CNC table, at least the ones I think I need so far. This is the description I have been looking for since starting on this a few weeks ago. Now that I know I can use any old CAD program that exports a DXF file I can concentrate on the CAM application functionality. I'm going to be using an Arduino Nano processor for the machine control portion so I guess I either need a CAM program that can spit out Arduino C++ code or more likely a program on the Arduino that interprets GCmy probleode and the CAM program then spits out standard GCode to do the work. I am guessing GCode is a quasi standard? Anyway my problem now seems to be about half the size it was before I read your post. Thanks!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Check out SheetCam. Customizable post processors can be made to output just about any gcode.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Not sure the Nano will do the job for plasma cutting, depending on your table and the number of input needed. You will need on for metal contact (either a floating head switch or Ohmic sensor or both) to locate the torches position to start the cutting operation. One for Arc ok to insure the troch is fired and working. Others for Home/limit switches if you use them. An output for torch trigger to fire the torch for cutting. And other inputs if you want to run a THC. This is operated through the CAM software with the selection of the Post Processor software, which vary with the electronics (the Nano or other cards).
You may want to look at the GRBL software packages like MPCNC groups as I think they use Arduino cards.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Metriccar wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm I have a plasmacam. The software is great.

However I’m looking for something a little sturdier and a water table option.

Are there any other tables out there with comparable software? Something that allows you to draw, create cut paths, nest, and run the machine on the same program? I tried mach3 and can’t stand it.
There is nothing else like PlasmaCam and DesignEdge software. Yes, you can create designs using a combination of other software programs, but DesignEdge is an all-in-one package that takes a napkin sketch to a finished product without the need for any other software.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”