Plasmasens THC broken?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Plasmasens THC broken?

Post by Retro »

Hey there,
today i wanted to cut a few bracketplates for the next order. Everything like always and then i wanted to cut. The torch didn't move anymore.

The THC (PlasmaSens) shows once again E-1. It always helped turning the power of the "reader" off and turning it on again. But today that didn't work out. It cut and stopped working. I tried a different fiber cable but didn't work at all. Always showing E-1. Is the unit damaged and needs replacement? I cut 3 mm steel yesterday and everything was fine. Today i needed 8mm and i cut two holes and thats it.

Is there any hope fixing that or do i need to buy another THC? I changed nothing. Just turned the machine off and today on.
Ground is always there, and that shouldn't be the issue since everything worked just fine the last time.

I'm getting angry everyday working with my machine, but always smth breaks..
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: THC broken?

Post by acourtjester »

What does the manual say about the E-1 error, from what you say it is an intermittent problem. Many time this is a bad connection or broken wire where it works sometimes and others not.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Its just the Fiber Wire from the Reading component to the controller. I tried a different Fiber. Nothing changed.
I fire the machine up, the THC says --- (which is good) and a few seconds later the E-1. Its repeatable. Even with the different wire.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

The one thing I have read is that electrical noise can disrupt the signal and to make sure things are properly grounded, making sure the negatives of the logic in the breakout board are not common with the main grounds or the negative or the main power supply. Maybe have a look at that and see. Since your issue is intermittent I could certainly see this being an electrical noise issue. May only be happening when something else in the shop is running.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

But i have nothing changed, except a new old FritzBox in the electrical box. Ill unplug that thing tormorrow...
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Alright, i tried it and nothing changed. Nothing was on, not even the computer or the lights in my shop. Stil the same issue.
I suspect the THC itself is damaged somehow. If it wouldn't cost 200 bucks...
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That has got to be disappointing, if you get a new one installed I would be interested to hear that everything is back to normal. Good luck.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”