Cut Quality Issues after Change in Plasma Cutter

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cut Quality Issues after Change in Plasma Cutter

Post by sjo426 »

Hey all, I'm at a loss and have run out of options/adjustments....

My set up earlier this year was an older Hypertherm Powermax 45 (not even sure of any details, it was 12+ years old), a Tracker 4x4 Nitro CNC table, and I was using a Coolair dryer. Around midyear I moved the entire set up from one shop to another, I purchased a new Hypertherm Powermax 45xp, and a new IR air dryer. Every since moving everything to the new shop I cannot for the life of me get the dross under control.

My question is this, should I have replaced the machine torch head when I switch to the new Powermax 45xp? Is the old (currently using) torch head specific to the older Powermax 45 unit?

Thanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut Quality Issues after Change in Plasma Cutter

Post by acourtjester »

I would contact the Hypertherm tech line to see if there is a difference. You should be able to look at the torch and see their model number. I know the Duramax model torch will work on both the older 45 and the 45XP. I think the older machine torch for the 45 is a "T" model and it may not work with the 45 XP.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

My guess is your using the same cut speeds as your old 45 and seeing low speed dross. The new 45 has more jam and will require faster cutting speeds. I could be wrong but compare cut charts between the 2 systems and use the charts from your 45xp operator manual. Low speed dross can be eliminated by simple speeding up the cut speed.
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Yeah, so trust me, I feel like I've tried every speed adjustment I can make. I've been fighting this for months now. The dross is so bad, it's like someone is about to make a video on dross removal and the purposely slowed down the speed in order to get the worst dross possible for their video. It's incredibly frustrating as I feel like I had the old plasma cutter dialed in, there was next to no dross. But moved all the equipment, changed the plasma cutter, changed the air dryer, and now it's just plain gross. No change in where I buy my consumables, no change in the metal, just the cutter and dryer.
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Ok, so I called Tracker today, and they informed me that I do indeed need a different machine torch head, so that is ordered and I'll see if that solves the issue.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

sjo426 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:43 pm Ok, so I called Tracker today, and they informed me that I do indeed need a different machine torch head, so that is ordered and I'll see if that solves the issue.
Curious what torch your currently using on it?
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

I'm not even sure......when I bought the table 5 years ago they just sent me the torch head I needed with the machine that would work with my Hypertherm Powermax 45.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

sjo426 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:33 am I'm not even sure......when I bought the table 5 years ago they just sent me the torch head I needed with the machine that would work with my Hypertherm Powermax 45.
Ok, it's just odd that you got a new 45XP and it didn't come with a new torch.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You can purchase just a power supply with no torch from any Hypertherm dealer. The original 45 used a plunger style torch, the newer 45XP uses a spring electrode torch (Duramax). Either will cut on either system, however the cut specs (Speed, Arc Voltage, etc) are different. The Duramax will cut with better quality (though similar) and the Duramax consumables will last longer (assuming you use Hypertherm branded consumables). Keep us posted! Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”