Plasmacam - Explain THC Settings Height Control

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasmacam - Explain THC Settings Height Control

Post by Splasher »

Hi,
I have recently bought a 4X4 Plasmacam with 3.11 software.
Very user friendly and I'm already cutting out some nice stuff but I cannot fathom the Auto Height Control which will be very useful for me cutting 1.5mm sheet.
Not sure what the functions of the variables in the boxes (photo attached).
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I don't have a manual and not sure how to get one.
20231021_105526.jpg
20231021_105516.jpg
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Plasmacam (video) manual

Post by Splasher »

I've checked the voltage coming out of the 20:1 feed from my plasma source and it varies between four and six. I think this variation is height related...
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam (video) manual

Post by rdj357 »

Hello! If you haven’t, you should get the previous owner to transfer ownership to you - then you can log onto the owner’s community forum where there is a section to order replacement parts including a CD copy of the video manual. It may be for DesignEdge but it will cover all the features that you have including what the advanced height control settings actually do.

That said, unless you are cutting things other than flat plate, you shouldn’t need to make adjustments to those settings from default. That said, a few things:
Height Tolerance is the tolerance from the set cut height (half above, half below) that Z axis movement will not happen to correct height.
Maximum Climb is the fastest the Z can move to raise/climb.
Maximum Dive is the fastest the Z can move to lower/dive.
Climb Zone is the distance that begins past the height tolerance over which the Z speed ramps from 0 to maximum climb speed trying to get back to the set height.
Dive Zone is the distance that begins past the height tolerance over which the Z speed ramps from 0 to maximum climb speed trying to get back to the set height.

The arc voltage scale is also important. In inches, it is 5 volts per inch so I’d expect that to be at about .197 V/mm but don’t have metric units so I can’t see what the default actually is.

Explanations of the other settings can all be found in a video I did on settings - it’s Design Edge but is similar enough to help I believe. Link to my YouTube is in my signature.
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Plasmacam - Explain THC Settings Height Control

Post by Splasher »

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the reply and info.
I have managed to get the owner transfer thing done, but not yet got the hang of what's available on the PC user website. PC are constantly trying to get me to spend £2000 for Design Edge but I don't have the budget.
Hoping I can get the ATHC working now...
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

It's a great upgrade when the time comes but there is no reason that the table won't work great on 3.11!

Default 'Advanced' Height Control Settings in 3.11 are:
* I converted these from imperial units but should be accurate

Height Tolerance .74 mm
Max climb = 17.7 mm/sec
Max dive = 8.7 mm/sec
Climb zone = 2.41 mm
Dive zone = 2.41 mm

Hold Z axis when idle checked
Force when moving = 17kg

Arc voltage scale = 0.2 V/mm (Rounded from 0.197 if that fits)

Do check the sense material and use ohmic consumables (I assume based on the settings I'm seeing that you have a DHC2 that is capable of this)

Then cut a line to calibrate as I describe in the video I linked earlier (after setting correct pierce height, cut height[torch to work distance], time spend piercing hole[pierce delay], and cut speed from your plasma cutter manual), and except there is just one check box for both Z shift calibration in 3.11
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Splasher wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:14 am Hi,
Look at the table label on one leg. Is your table a model DHC or a DHC2?

Is the Z motor on the carriage square, or round?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Splasher »

Thanks for your reply Joe.

I have a DHC2 table with a Square (stepper) motor on the Z drive.

I have everything working fine now except the ATHC which is proving challenging. Some aspects of the software still elude me but I can cope!

So far I have been experimenting cutting 1.5mm MS sheet and concentrating on getting all the settings dialed for as good a cut possible and I'd have to say that what I'm achieving already is far better quality than I'd expected on thin stock with my Huayuan LGK120IGBT plasma turned down to the lowest 30A setting. Things I make vary from 1.5mm to 15mm in MS, stainless, and Corten and are often sculptures where cut quality is king. Previously I've been getting stuff laser cut but I've always wanted to cut my own...

The thin sheet does have a tendency to warp when making multiple cuts and I have put a meter on the voltage output from the plasma which seems to read between 4.5 and 6.5 volts and be proportional to the height of the torch above the stock.

If the ATHC is working I'm guessing that the Z should operate to keep the height consistent and I should see the lights by the Z buttons on the panel illuminate as it moves?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Splasher wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:14 am Hi,
Unfortunately, I have never used 3.xx software, and I would not be much help to you.

Where are you located? I am much better at fixing problems in person.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Splasher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Splasher »

I am just north of London, UK!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Ah! Not a short motorcycle ride from Franklin, KY., USA!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Splasher wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:06 am PC are constantly trying to get me to spend £2000 for Design Edge but I don't have the budget.
The old PlasmaCam 3.11 software did everything. The newer "DesignEdge" software has been broken up into modules, and you PAY for each of the software upgrades you want to use. So to get the same software capability (with many improvements) in DesignEdge, you would need to spend around $14,500.00(usd) I don't know WHAT that equates to in "£" :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:46 am
Splasher wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:06 am PC are constantly trying to get me to spend £2000 for Design Edge but I don't have the budget.
The old PlasmaCam 3.11 software did everything. The newer "DesignEdge" software has been broken up into modules, and you PAY for each of the software upgrades you want to use. So to get the same software capability (with many improvements) in DesignEdge, you would need to spend around $14,500.00(usd) I don't know WHAT that equates to in "£" :roll:

Joe
Yet again, this is FALSE information. Please make sure you know what you are talking about before spreading misinformation!!!!

The upgrade for registered owners of machines running 3.xx software is US$ 1,995. This includes Advanced Design, Advanced Height Control, Advanced Machine Control, Metric Units, a Sample Art Disc, and a Video Manual. In recent history, it has also included an extra seat license but that is not specifically spelled out in the details so would need to be confirmed at the time of upgrade. (Although it has been included for the past decade or so.)

It is true that new purchasers should consider the upgrades in addition to the cost of the base machine, but know that the base machine was stripped of those features to make it more affordable as an entry level and then upgradable. I am not a fan of this business practice but the facts are the facts. 3.xx upgrade users pay one upgrade fee for the features listed, new purchasers (or those that buy machines already on 4.xx+ must consider the value and/or cost of the upgrades that have or have not yet been purchased.)

To the OP, here are screenshots that I have shared in the past regarding this upgrade. As you can see, when and if your budget allows, you have no need to spend tens of thousands. The US$ 1,995 upgrade available at this time, includes everything that the original software did plus much more with the ONLY exception being that you lose the ability to customize the size/travel of the table without purchasing that US$998 upgrade which most people have no need of. (I have also expressed my dissatisfaction that this isn't included in this upgrade.)
3.11 Upgrade Order Snip.jpg
(My machines are 510's so you will see whatever model you own in your description)
3.11 Upgrade Explanation From Pcam.jpg
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

:lol: Geez, Robert! I know about the upgrade offer, but thank you for reminding me about it again. I am talking about a person who buys a table today and wants all of the 3.11 capabilities in DesignEdge. To get the equivalent software you would be at about $14K-ish. Not for HIM, but for a person who wants the Full Monty of upgrades, including the pipe cutting attachment. Yes, HE can upgrade from 3.11, and get SOME of the upgrades, not all of them for a lower price.

Why are you so edgy? I did not say HE would need to spend that. I said, I don't know what $14K-ish is IN HIS CURRENCY.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”