New guy from colorado springs

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
3Rmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New guy from colorado springs

Post by 3Rmetal »

Hi, heard about this site from Langmuir and it only took 2 min of reviewing before I signed up Looking forward to picking the brains of the pros
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New guy from colorado springs

Post by Joe Jones »

Hi,

Glad to see you here. this is THE SITE for plasma table owners on the entire Internet. Nuthin' Better!

Be sure to pay the very modest $20.00 fee for access to more files than you could ever hope to download in a lifetime, and there are plenty of Langmuir owners here to help you get up to speed, if you need that too.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Welcome. Have you learned how to trace images yet or autotrace? If not it will be a big help in moving forward with your CNC skillset.
There are a lot of resources that can help you here to learn. Be sure to use the search boxes and you will be surprised how much is here.

Also, If you are looking for a particular file ie, "horse or dog", go to the search box in the DXF DESIGN & PROJECT PICTURE SHARING FORUMS and use that section. If you use the main forum page you will have to sift through everything that anyone said about a dog or horse which also works but take much more time to find what you need.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Just a pointer on file management that I almost learned the hard way and was discussed here before, which helped me just in the nick of time:

Do yourself a favor, because if you are like me you will download hundreds of files here, or more. Plus many elsewhere.
And you will likely draw hundreds of files as most do.

Don't just download them in random order, or your catalogue of files will be almost useless.
I think some members here on this site have mentioned that they 10,000 plus files, and if they are all jumbled up with no way of pulling them out, there is no way of finding them efficiently. It is almost as bad a genius with a brain disorder (don't want to mention any diseases for respect of the ones that may have it), which they may be the smartest guy/gal in the world, but everything is so abstract that they are useless to society in general.
The point: Get a file storage system down from the get-go and it will be a lot more efficient finding things.

As an example, I have an automotive file. And in that file are subfiles of the type of cars and years that I have stored. Since I have maybe a several hundred cars, it is very easy for me to open my "automotive" file then open a sub file that says Volkswagen, and I have maybe 3 or 4 bugs, and a few vans etc. And I can play around with them very easily.
Or my file named "Animals". In which I have subfiles of all of the different types of animals that I have. .... etc... You get the point.
Come up with something that works for you while you are starting out.

Work a "little" as you go to save a "bunch" of time and frustration in the future.
Last edited by tinspark on Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
martyy
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by martyy »

tinspark wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:32 pm Just a pointer on file management that I almost learned the hard way and was discussed here before, which helped me just in the nick of time:

Do yourself a favor, because if you are like me you will download hundreds of files here, or more. Plus many elsewhere.
And you will likely draw hundreds of files as most do.

Don't just download them in random order, or your catalogue of files will be almost useless.
I think some members here on this site have mentioned that they 10,000 plus files, and if they are all jumbled up with no way of pulling them out, there is no way of finding them efficiently. It is almost as bad a genius with a brain disorder (don't want to mention any diseases for respect of the ones that may have it), which they may be the smartest guy/gal in the world, but everything is so abstract that they are useless to society in general.
The point: Get a file storage system down from the get-go and it will be a lot more efficient finding things.

As an example, I have an automotive file. And in that file are subfiles of the type of cars and years that I have stored. Since I have maybe a several hundred cars, it is very easy for me to open my "automotive" file then open a sub file that says Volkswagen, and I have maybe 3 or 4 bugs, and a few vans etc. And I can pay around with them very easily.
Or my file named "Animals". In which I have subfiles of all of the different types of animals that I have. .... etc... You get the point.
Come up with something that works for you while you are starting out.

Work a "little" as you go to save a "bunch" of time and frustration in the future.
This is some outstanding advice... Save you lots of time in the years to come.
3Rmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 3Rmetal »

Thank you all for the info big help
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:32 pm
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!

There is nothing more frustrating than searching through thousands of vector files with names like "s34677-p.dxf" and "rx22-bnormal.dxf" looking for that ONE file of a bobcat on a tree branch! :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

3Rmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 3Rmetal »

i have given my $20.00 and have been surfing the site. very easy to get over whelmed with all the info available.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

3Rmetal wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:08 pm i have given my $20.00 and have been surfing the site. very easy to get over whelmed with all the info available.
Twenty bucks really is a modest request. The cost of running a site like PlasmaSpider is immense. He has advertisers, and paying members like you and me, but I am fairly certain it does not cover the costs of running this site. I don't know if he has others with admin privileges, but it sure would reduce the burden on him, to bring in another person or two, to help him keep things in order.

There is also the bandwidth that must be paid, and downloads of files gobbles up megabytes of bandwidth in no time.

There is no other forum on the WORLD WIDE WEB :lol: more useful to plasma table owners than PlasmaSpider.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:15 pm
tinspark wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:32 pm
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!

There is nothing more frustrating than searching through thousands of vector files with names like "s34677-p.dxf" and "rx22-bnormal.dxf" looking for that ONE file of a bobcat on a tree branch! :lol:

Joe
I agree whole heartedly.
I have read in the past of the problems some were having trying to find files, and I nipped it in the bud a few years ago.
It helps me to do it as I go a little at a time.
And I always seem to be making new files and subfile as I draw stuff up or download free files or ideas for future use,,.

But what works for me may not necessarily work for the next guy.
The point is... find something that works and stick with it!
and as the great "Merican" scholar and poet (Larry the cable guy said repeatedly) "getter done"!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-

Return to “Introduce Yourself”