Drawings on top of drawings

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Moonlight31
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Drawings on top of drawings

Post by Moonlight31 »

Good day all,
I use a 5x10 Samson table with design edge software.
I accidentally copied my whole file(a large, large file) over top of itself. If I use the mouse and select the whole image then press delete, I lose both copies.
If I click each individual part of the image and press it will delete the top layer and leave me the original image and show my closed paths.
Hope this makes sense to you...
Is there a quick way to get rid of all the top images that are overlaying on my original images without clicking on each individual part of the image to delete them??
Thank you for your knowledge on this!!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Drawings on top of drawings

Post by adbuch »

If you still have the original session open, then click on the "Undo" button. If you have cut paths and drawing paths, then you can use F9 and F10 to toggle between cut paths and drawing paths. Otherwise I think you will need to delete the individual paths.

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

This is an easy error to fix. I made a video showing you how to manage overlapping UNGROUPED art files

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I thought about using the Select tool. For the example you show of the fish over fish over fish with all the complex interior details ...., it is a good way to select all the specific features (paths) for a particular part as they are generally in order in the list. But still no "magic bullet". I got the impression that the OP was looking for some layer tool contained in Design Edge where all the parts he copied would be on a separate layer from the original parts - but with the exception of the "Show drawing paths" and Show cut paths" tools, does not exist that I am aware of. Depending on the complexity and particular features of his parts, I think using the Select tool may be a quicker way to select and delete his "top layer". It would be nice if he would share either share or post his pcm file so we can have a look at what he is actually dealing with.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Here is another video to explain it a bit further.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:24 am I thought about using the Select tool. For the example you show of the fish over fish over fish with all the complex interior details ...., it is a good way to select all the specific features (paths) for a particular part as they are generally in order in the list. But still no "magic bullet". I got the impression that the OP was looking for some layer tool contained in Design Edge where all the parts he copied would be on a separate layer from the original parts - but with the exception of the "Show drawing paths" and Show cut paths" tools, does not exist that I am aware of. Depending on the complexity and particular features of his parts, I think using the Select tool may be a quicker way to select and delete his "top layer". It would be nice if he would share either share or post his pcm file so we can have a look at what he is actually dealing with.

David
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

godsend 1.jpg
godsend 2.jpg
godsend 3.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Moonlight31 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:23 pm Good day all,
I use a 5x10 Samson table with design edge software.
I accidentally copied my whole file(a large, large file) over top of itself. If I use the mouse and select the whole image then press delete, I lose both copies.
If I click each individual part of the image and press it will delete the top layer and leave me the original image and show my closed paths.
Hope this makes sense to you...
Is there a quick way to get rid of all the top images that are overlaying on my original images without clicking on each individual part of the image to delete them??
Thank you for your knowledge on this!!
Assuming you have your whole file copied directly on top of itself, then this would be the quickest method to get rid of the "top images". Select all, Explode (Ctrl X), then Link (J). Be sure to back up your file before editing it. Here is an example so you can see how it works. Under "Link Paths" - I like to use the settings shown in the first image below. I normally have "Show solid closed paths" turned on. Note that if you have one copy directly on top of the other, closed path fill will not show. If you would care to share you problematic file, feel free to PM me and I will have a look.

David
settings 1.jpg
settings 2.jpg
settings 3.jpg
settings 4.jpg
settings 5.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The explode tool does work, but you must make sure that you setting to delete overlapping segments is set to a very small number.

By using the VIEW> SELECT> command, you can divide the number of paths by 2, and then highlight all of the patch below the half way point. This will select every duplicate path in the drawing.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Moonlight31
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Moonlight31 »

Thank you all for your help! This is a very large file. I took sections of the file and exploded them and then rejoined them. It takes a while for my computer to rejoin them but it sooo much faster than deleting each closed path that was laid on top.
I appreciate all the help.
Thanks!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If you are comfortable sharing the file, I'd like to take a look at it as a doubled over file, and play with options for correcting the double paths quickly.

You can send the file to me at addmenow (at) mail (dot) com or post the file here for download.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Moonlight31
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Moonlight31 »

I apologize, I have fixed the file already. Thanks!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”