Turning a household oven into powder coat oven

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Turning a household oven into powder coat oven

Post by Dirtmotor »

I am going to try my hand at powder coating , I don't know anything other than what I have read here about it . Starting off I bought a well used (cheap) oven , Now, do I remove broiler element so I can hang from top ? do I need this element ? Will the oven temp control be good enough or do I need to do more ? Is it necessary to have a 4 wire cord ? I already have several 30 amp three wire recepts in shop ? I have tons of other questions but this is a start .
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Turning a household oven into powder coat oven

Post by rdj357 »

I use a couple old ovens for small parts or prototyping. I just hang stuff from the broiler element LOL You don't need it other than as a hanger....

Oven temp setting works fine for me, whatever cord the range says it needs is the one to use - just hook it up and get to coating.

Don't use it for food ever again but that pretty much goes without saying.... usually..... lol
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I'm with rdj357 on the no mods needed, you will need to get to about 400 degrees for powder melt. Not sure about the 30 amps you can try and see. I used the top elements in my oven and only used a 3 wire power in. Image shows 4 elements but I only use the 2 larger ones work great.
You can buy the PID controller, Probe sensor temperature, and SSRs from eBay as a kit. no big magic here easy project.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295874485059?h ... R9LO693DYg
oven inside.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Cool thanks , sounds like I might be over thinking as usual ...
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I used a household oven for years and it always worked very well. Sure the temp control isn't the best but it will work well and once you get in tune with how it heats you will do really well with it.

Return to “Powder Coat”