Plasma and Router Table considerations

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
ClarKent101
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasma and Router Table considerations

Post by ClarKent101 »

Hello all, I've been planning on building my own plasma table and have it half made, the base at least with a waterbed.

If I were to use this also for CNC routing, I'm assuming I would need some bigger motors and a strong gantry. Are there any succesful builds that have been on here that others have done or any recommended motor sizes etc. or anything else I should be looking at? How would the wood be clamped on a water bed also?

Thanks in advance!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma and Router Table considerations

Post by adbuch »

Please post some photos of your "water bed" so we can see exactly what you have built. You will need to mount a spoil board to the top of your cutting grates for clamping your wood material that you intend to machine with your router. After mounting, the spoil board needs to be machined (fly cut) to insure that the top surface is parallel to the x-y plane of motion. Motor sizes will depend on the weight of your moving parts (gantry, carriage, spindle) as well as the size router or spindle you intend to mount as well as depth of cut/router bit diameters you intend to use.

David
acourtjester

Re: Plasma and Router Table considerations

Post by acourtjester »

I have built and sold tables that were both plasma and router, all steel construction. On most the steppers I used 425 OZ for the Y and Z axis and a 960 OZ on the X. I used 36 volt for the Y and Z drivers and a 60 volt for the X. I switch out the water table for the spoil board along with the mounting for the torch or router. I use a boom for the plasma cable and router power with vacuum hose. Images of 3 different table, I have supports under the water table and spoil board so they can be slid off/on when I change functions of the table. David is correct about wanting the spoil board to flat for consistent router action. Since you are in the preliminary stages of construction if I can help with info just ask. I have a package showing all aspects of building a table completely from scratch (electronic included). The lady wanted a pink one. :HaHa PVC tube for vacuum did not have the hose hooked up in the image.
DSCN4096.JPG
Christina table.JPG
DSCN4095.JPG
DSCN0101.JPG
2 tables 4x4 and new 4x8.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”