Arcing Lead ins with DesignEdge

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Steel Werks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Arcing Lead ins with DesignEdge

Post by Steel Werks »

Is there a setting in DesignEdge to arc lead ins for making circular cuts? Or a setting to do 45 degree lead ins? I have looked everywhere for this option but can’t find anything.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Arcing Lead ins with DesignEdge

Post by rdj357 »

No. You can edit the lead in after it is created to accomplish this but in most cases the straight lead in works perfectly as long as the gap at the end of loop is set correctly.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I agree with Robert on this one. Straight lead-ins coming in at 90 degrees have worked well for me. The setting "Gap at end of loop" can be adjusted to some small positive value (as needed) to prevent double cutting at the lead-in location on the cut path.

David
Steel Werks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Steel Werks »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:43 am I agree with Robert on this one. Straight lead-ins coming in at 90 degrees have worked well for me. The setting "Gap at end of loop" can be adjusted to some small positive value (as needed) to prevent double cutting at the lead-in location on the cut path.

David

Looks like I had “gap at end of loop” set too high. Thanks for the help!

Another question I had, is there a way to change the initial pierce time separate from the normal pierce time? My initial pierce will pre flow air for about 1.5 seconds before firing the torch. Any following pierce will fire the torch right away.

I have to set the pierce time close to 2 seconds to have the initial pierce set correctly but then any following pierce is way too long. Not sure if this is a setting I can change or just how my plasma cutter works and can’t be changed. The plasma is a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Do you have height control? If so, you can check the box to wait for signal before moving on the machine control page and set your pierce time to the correct setting and leave it. If not, there is no way I know of to have different pierce times for the first vs. additional.
Steel Werks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Steel Werks »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:40 pm Do you have height control? If so, you can check the box to wait for signal before moving on the machine control page and set your pierce time to the correct setting and leave it. If not, there is no way I know of to have different pierce times for the first vs. additional.

Yes I do have height control, I have tried checking the box to wait for a signal before moving but it doesn’t seem to change any of the timing. I confirmed that the table does wait for a signal from the plasma but it seems to get the signal when the plasma begins the pre flow, not when the torch is actually striking an arc.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If it is wired correctly, I would think it would be monitoring the actual arc voltage. You may find some useful information in the section of the Video Manual I printed below. Among other things, it discusses min and max cutting signals and false detection.

David
vm ch 6 1.jpg
vm ch 6 2.jpg
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Sorry, I should have noticed that you have a TD. They are the ones that produce the higher arc voltage when starting.

Use a max signal of 10.5 and min of 3 and it should solve this problem
Steel Werks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Steel Werks »

Awesome, thank you everyone!

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”