New member of the Hypertherm family

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
DezertBlingMoto
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

New member of the Hypertherm family

Post by DezertBlingMoto »

I just recently was put in woes with Miller, my Miller 65 plasma cutter with machine torch took a crap. I called Miller to hope and get some answers on what it could possibly be. Talked to a couple techs and one basically says, "Junk it there's no troubleshooting for this machine in our systems". So I called back, and another tech guy tried to diagnose what could be wrong and he just said, " send it in..... it could be anything, but you would have to mail it in and nearest mechanic shop for miller is phoenix". With that been said, I was really bothered that buying miller you figure you're buying the elite and it will come with good tech support and what a reality check I got. So, I started shopping around and as my gut told me 6 yrs. ago I should of went Hypertherm. Called the support team and in seconds they gave me part numbers that would be compatible with my 10 yr. old TorchMate table. So I pulled the trigger found a company back east that had one for $4100 no taxes and free shipping, sounded like a deal to me.An all I could say is if you don't already have a Hypertherm don't waste your money on anything else. IM SUPER STOKED with what i purchased. (Hypertherm 65 sync w/ machine torch).
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New member of the Hypertherm family

Post by acourtjester »

If you have not trashed the Miller you may contact this guy to see what he thinks. You may recoup some money selling it as repaired.
https://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com/
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DezertBlingMoto wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:59 pm I just recently was put in woes with Miller, my Miller 65 plasma cutter with machine torch took a crap. I called Miller to hope and get some answers on what it could possibly be. Talked to a couple techs and one basically says, "Junk it there's no troubleshooting for this machine in our systems". So I called back, and another tech guy tried to diagnose what could be wrong and he just said, " send it in..... it could be anything, but you would have to mail it in and nearest mechanic shop for miller is phoenix". With that been said, I was really bothered that buying miller you figure you're buying the elite and it will come with good tech support and what a reality check I got. So, I started shopping around and as my gut told me 6 yrs. ago I should of went Hypertherm. Called the support team and in seconds they gave me part numbers that would be compatible with my 10 yr. old TorchMate table. So I pulled the trigger found a company back east that had one for $4100 no taxes and free shipping, sounded like a deal to me.An all I could say is if you don't already have a Hypertherm don't waste your money on anything else. IM SUPER STOKED with what i purchased. (Hypertherm 65 sync w/ machine torch).
Sorry to hear about your experience with Miller. I think it depends more on the particular dealer. I have purchased 6 Miller welders over the last 40 years, still have them all, and they all work as they should. Back in the day, Pima Welding Supply was the local Miller vendor, and they had a competent service department who were knowledgeable and provided repair service (when needed) to the local community. The serviced what they sold.

These days it is often more economical to purchase "online", as I did with my Miller Dynasty tig welder and my two Miller 180 AutoSets. I also purchased both of my Hypertherm plasma cutters (Powermax 85 and 45xp) online for the same reasons. I do consider Hypertherm to be the premium brand for plasma cutters, followed by Thermal Dynamics. I actually still have my original Thermal Dynamics Pak 2XT plasma cutter purchased locally around 40 years ago and it still keeps on cutting. It is for manual cutting, not cnc.

I think you will be very happy with your new Hypertherm 65 Sync cutter, although the price for the replacement cartridges is a bit high compared to the comparable Duramax consumables for the pre-Sync Duramax torches. Good luck and we will look forward to hearing how you like your new Hypertherm once you get it set up and cutting.

David
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

That's frustrating, I would expect a little more effort than that from Miller but glad to hear your happy with your new Hypertherm. I am very happy Powermax user also :Like
DezertBlingMoto

I finally got it all hooked up but once in every 3-4 cut runs i lose signal and the cut stops and the torch stays lit for roughly 30 seconds. I have to shut everything off and re-boot everything back. Kind of pain in the rear cause i have to reset my start point , not very hard as i just walk the torch backwards on the numbers it froze on me. Its weird never did it before , wonder if its something to do with the Powermax signal . Might have to call Hypertherm as I'm sure Lincoln won't help me answer any Torchmate questions lol .
DezertBlingMoto

acourtjester wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:03 pm If you have not trashed the Miller you may contact this guy to see what he thinks. You may recoup some money selling it as repaired.
https://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com/
I definitely will give him a shout and see, i would like to keep it and get the hand torch for it but well see how expensive its gonna be to fix it.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

DezertBlingMoto wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:39 pm I finally got it all hooked up but once in every 3-4 cut runs i lose signal and the cut stops and the torch stays lit for roughly 30 seconds. I have to shut everything off and re-boot everything back. Kind of pain in the rear cause i have to reset my start point , not very hard as i just walk the torch backwards on the numbers it froze on me. Its weird never did it before , wonder if its something to do with the Powermax signal . Might have to call Hypertherm as I'm sure Lincoln won't help me answer any Torchmate questions lol .
Is your ground cable tightly connected to the front of the Powermax? They are a 3/4 turn connection and if knocked loose I have seen some electrical interference issues in the past.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - I agree with Weldguy. The work lead cable connector ("ground lead") needs to be checked once in a while to make sure it is fully seated.

David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”