Jim Colt Assistance

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
tony506
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Jim Colt Assistance

Post by tony506 »

Hi Jim,
Me again, I got my new 65 with machine torch and plan on hooking it up in the next few days to my plasmacam.
Contacted the 'guy' about the CPC cable, but none available at moment, but I'm getting one in a few weeks from him.
In the meantime I think I can get the plugs required and was going to try to make one up. As per you previous message, you told me to contact you for help on the interface cable.
Thanks
Tony
PS: Really looking forward to the videos when they com.

jimcolt wrote:If you have a Powermax65 (or 85 or 105 or the new 125) with the CPC port you can interface it very easily to the PlasmaCam. There is a guy (my son) that produces a plug and play cable for $75 (free shipping in US) that makes this interface easy if you have CPC and machine torch. It can be done without this cable as well, but you will need to get the mating plug, and make some modification to the existing PlasmaCam interface cable. I can help with that if that is the route you choose.

Yes, the long torch can easily be converted to mini torch, instructions are in the Powermax operators manual.

You will be seeing more shop and plasma "how to" videos in the future!

Jim Colt
Eastern Canada
Hobby Shop/Business
PlasmaCam DHC2 with Design Edge
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Lincoln Mig
Everlast Tig & Stick
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Jim Colt Assistance

Post by jimcolt »

There are 4 wires on the PlasmaCam cable (cable that comes with the machine). the white/black pair of wires connect to pins 3 and 4 on the CPC connector, no worry about polarity. You can find a drawing with the pinouts in your Powermax65 operators manual, and these connections assume you are using a machine torch....will not work with a hand torch.

The other two wires on the PlasmaCam cable are a red/black pair, and are larger in diameter than the white black pair,
Connect the red wire to screw terminal J28 on the main power circuit board inside the Powermax unit, connect the Black wire to screw terminal J26.

I have attached the "Raw Arc Voltage" document from Hypertherm that provides instructions for safely removing the cover from your Powermax and routing the wires. These wires must be attached as said above...they are polarity dependant!

You will be fully functional. The cable from PJMetal fab elimiates this wiring, and simply plugs into the plasma CPC port, you cannot do this with the PlasmaCam supplied cable as it has an internal voltage divider.

Jim Colt
Raw Arc Voltage.pdf
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
tony506 wrote:Hi Jim,
Me again, I got my new 65 with machine torch and plan on hooking it up in the next few days to my plasmacam.
Contacted the 'guy' about the CPC cable, but none available at moment, but I'm getting one in a few weeks from him.
In the meantime I think I can get the plugs required and was going to try to make one up. As per you previous message, you told me to contact you for help on the interface cable.
Thanks
Tony
PS: Really looking forward to the videos when they com.

jimcolt wrote:If you have a Powermax65 (or 85 or 105 or the new 125) with the CPC port you can interface it very easily to the PlasmaCam. There is a guy (my son) that produces a plug and play cable for $75 (free shipping in US) that makes this interface easy if you have CPC and machine torch. It can be done without this cable as well, but you will need to get the mating plug, and make some modification to the existing PlasmaCam interface cable. I can help with that if that is the route you choose.

Yes, the long torch can easily be converted to mini torch, instructions are in the Powermax operators manual.

You will be seeing more shop and plasma "how to" videos in the future!

Jim Colt
tony506
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tony506 »

Thanks for the help Jim.
I think I will wait for the PJmetal cable instead of taking the machine apart.
Tony
Eastern Canada
Hobby Shop/Business
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Lincoln Mig
Everlast Tig & Stick
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you email PJMetal fab I think he has a cable that can ship tomorrow....he accepts PayPal and credit cards.

Jim

tony506 wrote:Thanks for the help Jim.
I think I will wait for the PJmetal cable instead of taking the machine apart.
Tony
tony506
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tony506 »

Hi Jim,
I just emailed him and asked him to send me a paypal invoice. Not heard back yet.
Thx
Tony
Eastern Canada
Hobby Shop/Business
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Lincoln Mig
Everlast Tig & Stick
MACHINEMMAN
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MACHINEMMAN »

Im cutting a grill insert with a bunch of elliptical holes and leads invade part and Im sick of fixing 200 holes and adjusting leads ,pronest 2017
is there parameters to alter to get rid of this bug ?
thanks
Dean
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

MACHINEMMAN wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:30 am Im cutting a grill insert with a bunch of elliptical holes and leads invade part and Im sick of fixing 200 holes and adjusting leads ,pronest 2017
is there parameters to alter to get rid of this bug ?
thanks
Dean
Dean - you should be able to move the lead-in/lead-out to the interior of the features (holes). It sounds like you have them coming in on the wrong side of the cuts. I haven't messed around with Pronest in a while, I'll have to see if I still have it installed on one of my computers.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I checked and I don't have it installed anymore. The manual has some information on leads here.
leads 1.jpg
GU_ProNest2017StudentWorkbook_V2.1.pdf
(543.85 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
"How do you modify leads in ProNest?
To change the style of the lead in and lead out click on the lead in. This will bring up option in the properties menu on the right side of the screen. These options will allow you to change the style, size, and angle of the lead in and lead out. For straight cutting the most common styles are Linear and Arc."

Also perhaps consider doing your nesting with another program and then using Sheetcam to create your cut paths, where lead-ins can be more easily controlled.

David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”