I am Considering a 3D printer

Topics related to 3d printers and 3d printed plasma table accessories.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: I am Considering a 3D printer

Post by Joe Jones »

Lee0110 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:46 pm Starting with a smaller and more affordable 3D printer can be a wise decision if you are new to 3D printing. This will allow you to learn the basics and gain experience before investing in a larger and more expensive unit e.g. https://43dprint.org/best-3d-printers-under-2000/ the first one Dremel. Additionally, smaller 3D printers are often more user-friendly and require less maintenance than larger ones. They can still produce high-quality prints, and you can always upgrade to a larger printer later.
On the other hand, if you are already experienced with 3D printing and have a clear vision of the projects you want to undertake, a larger and more advanced printer may be a better choice. It will allow you to print larger objects and achieve more complex geometries. However, keep in mind that larger printers require more space, more power, and more maintenance.
Yeeeaaahhhh ... I am more of a jump in head first, kind of guy.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Lee - do you have a particular 3D printer you are using (large or small)? We would like to hear more about your specific 3D printer experience if you have some to share with the group.
Thanks,
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I am beginning to understand Fusion 360. It is very much like Google SketchUp, but the tools are a bit different. It won't be long before I am ready to connect a PC to the printer and enter the world of 3D creation!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Right on Joe. Whatcha gonna make?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I don't know. That is, I don't have a specific vision for this machine. I got one with a large build volume because I want to be able to print large items as a single piece. For example, the center console of my new F250 has a flip up lid. Okay, it has a pad for elbows, but other than that it is useless. I'd like to redesign it and print a replacement top that has a factory fit. However, I would incorporate two cup holders at the front, a place for a secure mount of an iPad PRO or other device, a discreet compartment for a handgun, and maybe a few more enhancements.

I want to scan the rear luggage of my Honda Goldwing. Honda has been nuzzling up to the yuppie crowd, making the Goldwing more "sporty" at the cost of cargo capacity. I would like to redesign the rear luggage to maintain the original body lines and mounts, but give me perhaps 200% of the storage capacity. I would make one set, and if it worked well and people liked it, I would see about having them made by an injection molder in CHINA or the USA, and sell them as "tour packs."

I have an 8-camera DVR for my truck. It is like a dash cam, but it has eight 4K cameras and a tiny control module similar to a full size DVR. I need to design and print custom mounts for the cameras, so they mate upto the body in various places with a factory look.

I have other ideas, but who knows ...

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

10-4 Joe, well whatever you decide to make I would like to see the pics. Sounds like some intense projects!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Joe you can almost print what you think up and make a STL file for. To give you a heads up when doing the slicing of that file you may need to add what is called support. These are added by the slicing software what items are not in direct contact with the build plate. Attached is a bracket I drew up, second image shows how it would be printed. First shows I flipped it (example only) to show the supports added (yellow). These have much less filament in construction and break off easy, they are just used in the printing process.
support1.JPG
support 2.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Without any dimensions, and knowing almost nothing about F360, I attempted to draw something similar. I cannot figure out how to remove the black lines or how to create the positive chamfer at the bend. But I am learning!

DesignEdge is SO MUCH EASIER. :Sad

Joe
F360 BRACKET.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

NO being anywhere near knowing thing in Fusion as I use 123DDesign, you may want to look at radius in place of chamfer.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Looks good Joe. To get rid of the black lines you need to change the “view”. Bottom center of your screen are small icons, one will be for view. Will need to go through them to find the view you want. For the other issue use the “Fillet” tool and click on the edge you want to fillet then enter the fillet size.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:01 pm Looks good Joe. To get rid of the black lines you need to change the “view”. Bottom center of your screen are small icons, one will be for view. Will need to go through them to find the view you want. For the other issue use the “Fillet” tool and click on the edge you want to fillet then enter the fillet size.
Great advise plasmanewbie!
David

Return to “3D Printers & Printed Accessories”