corel draw to plasma

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
toko
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

corel draw to plasma

Post by toko »

I'm struggling with getting a good dxf file out of corel. I have a demo of dxf tools and it still seem to confuse my nesting program. I'm using Wecim with a dynatorch machine. exporting with autocad R10 works better but gives flat spots on a curved line and made some double lines. where can I get some basic tutorials or advice on putting together artwork? or is there better software to use?
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: corel draw to plasma

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

if you export a clean path form corel to a DXF (without splines), it will have a lot of little line segments, I know mach3 has constant velocity settings to not stop at every node, if your system slows down too much, you have to try something else.

in autocad 10, there is no such thing as a curved line, only lines and arcs, and polylines composed of lines and arcs, which should export to DXF perfectly, but don't use smoothed polylines, I don't know what those are good for.

I'm not sure if anyone uses dxf tools and I'm not sure it works correctly, just zoom in and see if the results are smooth and connected and non-overlapping, I don't think autocad or corel produce any imperfections all by themselves.

does anyone else use dxf tools? does it work?
toko
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by toko »

Ok here I am again. Gary you say you use corel. What dxf format do you export with? I exported a simple oval sign with some text on it using autocad R10 i believe. It was fine except there were two extra line around the oval. When I deleted them I could open them in my cad but they were quite large files and slowed my program way down. Now are the extra lines something that happened in my drawing? Actually I drew the oval in Cad and imported to corel to put the text. any help would be appreciated.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

my guess is that you used weld or trim in corel and did not uncheck the leave-source and leave-target options...

see: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... eld#p21234

the slowness is because corel produces so many line segments in the dxf, one duplicate oval could add a lot to the dxf file size, and a lot of text can have a lot of nodes, if you are low on disc space or ram or don't have a decent graphics card, then any computer will slow down with tens of thousands of nodes to display,

for what its worth you can try corel's node reduction/smoothing, to minimize the number of curves being exported

I don't actually use corel's dxf export, I had my own software to convert from svg to dxf, but now that don't work with windows 7 so I'm actually trying to rewrite all that in a hurry
toko
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by toko »

Hey thanks thats just the info I need to know to make this work. I'll be giving that a try. On the dxf exporter will you have a version available to buy or how will it compare with corel's export or dxftools? If most people aren't managing good dxf's with standard corel then I don't wanna waste tooo much time fighting it! I keep thinking that what I want to do is simple......hahaha.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”