Steel Prices

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steel Prices

Post by Joe Jones »

FabLab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 pm And this relates to the price of steel in what way
The fact of the matter is that steel prices are not uniform anywhere in America. The price of any given piece of steel sheet, or extrusion, or tubing, or any of a dozen other factors, determines the price.

Are you buying one sheet of 4x8 14 gauge cold roll steel, or 10 sheets, or a pallet, or a truck load? Are you buying one stick of 2x2 angle iron, or does the railroad flat car stop within forklift distance of your shop so you can unload your 100 TON shipment?

Perhaps we should start a thread about the price of gasoline. I am sure that the poor slobs who are stuck in CommieFornia would LOVE to know the price of unleaded regular in Kentucky, because they would hop into their cars and trucks and drive the 4,000+ mile round trip JUST to save $50.00 on a single tank of gas!

Oh, I know. The price of steel that is not within the logistical reach of your shop is important to know, because you might be willing to pay for the shipping charges to transport cheaper steel across the country, or drive there to pick up the steel yourself.

The price of steel is determined by the quantity of steel that you purchase, regardless of WHERE you purchase it.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

And just wait till our wonderful federal government starts taxing by the mile. I was reading a news article about how many states are already jumping on the bandwagon to get their share.

Allen
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

abmetal wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:24 am And just wait till our wonderful federal government starts taxing by the mile. I was reading a news article about how many states are already jumping on the bandwagon to get their share.

Allen
I am just quietly waiting for the lynching to begin.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

FabLab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by FabLab »

Just a few points for accuracy:
I will do my best to cover both of your posts in this single reply

I didn't INSIST anything, I simply asked a single question.

I didn't infer that the thread should remain exactly on topic, But I don't see how pics of a new truck are remotely related to steel prices. If you feel the need to post pics of you new truck on a plasma cutting social media forum feel free to do so, I have absolutely no issue with that, but it seems to me it should be a new topic.

I do not feel the need to read every word of every post, and I do have the free will to pass over topics that do not interest me, I do it all the time, it just happens to be that steel prices in this country are of interest to me.

I understand that steel prices are not uniform anywhere in America. That is exactly why I am interested in this thread, (and it seems others are as well since this is a topic that has been active since 2016) I find in the differences in prices across the country interesting and informative.

If you are interested in the price of gasoline across the country, you should absolutely start a thread on that, other people may be as well

The price of steel that is not within the logistical reach of my shop is not important to me but it is interesting to me and has no bearing on where I purchase it.

I absolutely agree that the price of steel is determined by the quantity of steel that I purchase, regardless of WHERE I purchase it. but I fail to understand what that has to do with your new pickup?

Hopefully that clears things up.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

FabLab wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:55 pm Just a few points for accuracy:
I will do my best to cover both of your posts in this single reply

I didn't INSIST anything, I simply asked a single question.

I didn't infer that the thread should remain exactly on topic, But I don't see how pics of a new truck are remotely related to steel prices. If you feel the need to post pics of you new truck on a plasma cutting social media forum feel free to do so, I have absolutely no issue with that, but it seems to me it should be a new topic.

I do not feel the need to read every word of every post, and I do have the free will to pass over topics that do not interest me, I do it all the time, it just happens to be that steel prices in this country are of interest to me.

I understand that steel prices are not uniform anywhere in America. That is exactly why I am interested in this thread, (and it seems others are as well since this is a topic that has been active since 2016) I find in the differences in prices across the country interesting and informative.

If you are interested in the price of gasoline across the country, you should absolutely start a thread on that, other people may be as well

The price of steel that is not within the logistical reach of my shop is not important to me but it is interesting to me and has no bearing on where I purchase it.

I absolutely agree that the price of steel is determined by the quantity of steel that I purchase, regardless of WHERE I purchase it. but I fail to understand what that has to do with your new pickup?

Hopefully that clears things up.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

FabLab wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:55 pm I don't see how pics of a new truck are remotely related to steel prices.
Follow the thread.

Steel prices are through the roof.
Politicians are to blame.
Fighting imported steel.
Competing with cheap Chinese junk.
Production cut back.
Covid zombie apocalypse hits.
People are not spending money.
General loss of faith in humanity.
I stopped doing anything in my shops.
I bought several machines hoping for motivation.
Didn't work.
Member says, "Hold steady. Tough for everyone right now."
I bought a truck to FORCE myself to get out there and at least try.
When I return from CommieFornia, I will begin making things for a large Christmas show in Nashville.
I will make them out of METAL!
I haven't purchased steel since 2019, so I do not know what the current prices are.

A picture really IS worth a thousand words. If I only posted, "I dove head first into a giant loan on a new F250 Super Duty to FORCE myself to get back into the shop and start making metal art again..." you KNOW it would be followed by ...

V8 or Diesel?
What color?
What options?
What was your trade-in?

and finally ...

WE NEED PICTURES!

There. You see how much OFF-TOPIC READING I save you? :wink:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:10 pm
Wow, FabLab! You got SIX thumbs up from David for that one! I believe that is a record! You must be proud! :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:48 pm
adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:10 pm
Wow, FabLab! You got SIX thumbs up from David for that one! I believe that is a record! You must be proud! :lol:

Joe

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
wiltshire_chris
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by wiltshire_chris »

Im in England

metric equivalents

14 guage 4x8 CR £74. HR. £95
16 guage 4x8 CR. £60. HR £120
1/4 4x8 £245
3/8 4x8 £605

with the current exchange rate the 3/8 sheet is $750
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

is there a cheat sheet somewhere here at plasma spider that has rough estimates of weights per sheet or other dimensional material on the per square foot according to gauge or thickness? I can get salvaged materials at a local metal recycler for $.50/lbs regardless of type of material. A cheat sheet would make it easier to figure out real quick how much I should be paying for materials based on lengths or dimensions.

Edit: I meant Linere feet not square feet. I edited and underlined sq ft to indicate it as wrong.
Last edited by N2 Welding on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

N2 Welding wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:29 pm is there a cheat sheet somewhere here at plasma spider that has rough estimates of weights per sheet or other dimensional material on the per square foot according to gauge or thickness? I can get salvaged materials at a local metal recycler for $.50/lbs regardless of type of material. A cheat sheet would make it easier to figure out real quick how much I should be paying for materials based on lengths or dimensions.
I use a digital hand held hanging fish scale and attach a vice grip on it then zero it out, that way I know how many pounds it actually is before I get up there. I also make my scale obvious so that way they know that I am all over it and will not accept getting ripped off. I go up there already know about what to expect plus or minus a little change
I paid like $10 a few years back on sc-Amazon haha!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

N2 Welding wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:29 pm is there a cheat sheet somewhere here at plasma spider that has rough estimates of weights per sheet
I can just get the price per ton from the steel suppliers.
Weight per sheet and meter is also listed in those charts.
Those are metric and euro so not helpfull for imperial work.
Drawing it up in let's say fusion and applying the material specification can also give you the weight and its surprisingly accurate.
FabLab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by FabLab »

N2 Welding wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:29 pm is there a cheat sheet somewhere here at plasma spider that has rough estimates of weights per sheet or other dimensional material on the per square foot according to gauge or thickness? I can get salvaged materials at a local metal recycler for $.50/lbs regardless of type of material. A cheat sheet would make it easier to figure out real quick how much I should be paying for materials based on lengths or dimensions.
I just do the math, the calculation is pretty easy its just:
Width * Length * Thickness * Density = Weight (the density for steel is 0.289)

For example a 26" x 36" piece of 14 GA would be:
26 x 36 x .0747 x .289 = 20.2 pounds

Easy enough to put in a spreadsheet I guess I just haven't done it :-)
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

FabLab wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm

This is the trick! From California to Florida. Canada to Mexico. Isn't it amazing when you can spell states correctly without condescending silliness on a plasma forum!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Simply amazing!
David
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

FabLab wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm

Ok math wizzard. thank you for the info, I'm wanting a cheat sheet not a lesson on how to calculate it out with a math equation. I know there has got to be one out there somewhere.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Maybe have a look around here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... =615&dpr=1

David
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:14 pm Maybe have a look around here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... =615&dpr=1

David

Thank you. that works for sheet metal :Like now for all the different dimensional shaped tubes, angle iron, C channel etc.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I think at some point it is beneficial to practice some basic geometry formulas rather then rely on someone to build you a calculator. I use an online calculator for figuring the edge length needed for a particular circumferential diameter of a truncated icosahedron (even though I have posted the formula here in the past for those inquisitive minds) but for basic volume calculations there are only a few to learn and they are based on ones you probably know.

1) Always use the same unit of measure - for cubic inches, convert any foot measurements to inches.
2) The weight of steel per cubic inch is around 0.283 lbs and the weight of aluminum per cubic inch is about 0.01 lbs.

For square or rectangular tubing you just need to add up all the side lengths, multiply by the length, and then by the thickness. That gives you cubic inches to multiply by the weight of the material per cubic inch.

For round tubing/pipe take pi(3.14) x the diameter x the length and multiply by the material weight per cubic inch.

For angle iron, add the width of the sides together x the length and then again, multiply by the material cubic inch weight.

C channel is going to depend on the length of the returns but just like angle iron, add the lengths of all the sides and multiply by the length. etc.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:47 pm
The weight of steel per cubic inch is around 0.283 lbs.

I don't do much with aluminum, but for steel that's all I need to know. Simple enough to just do the calculation. I usually just go with the 490 per cubic foot, as that is easier for me to work with.

David
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Oh Man I a dumbass lol. I meant linear feet not square feet.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Google is your friend.

https://www.sss-steel.com/public/pdf/reference-book.pdf
Metal Reference Guide.jpg
http://www.coyotesteel.com/assets/img/PDFs/databook.pdf
Metal Reference Guide 1.jpg
https://www.omegasteel.com/pdf/weight-per-foot.pdf
Metal Reference Guide 2.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

Just picked up a sheet of 12 ga HR 48x96" @ $85 per sheet plus tax
Much better than a few months back!! - Fresno CA
I think it was about double this price last year..

The OP (on page 1 of this thread) was paying bout' $73clams back in 2016

Copy and paste of OP's original inquiry below:

Steel Prices
Post by wlockwood23 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:13 am
These are all 48 x 96 sheets

cold rolled
12ga-$72.80
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
FabLab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by FabLab »

N2 Welding wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:08 pm Ok math wizzard. thank you for the info, I'm wanting a cheat sheet not a lesson on how to calculate it out with a math equation. I know there has got to be one out there somewhere.
I am truly sorry about that, I was just trying to help, I promise you I will not make that mistake again.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”